Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1st Rubi and I am not expecing great gas mileage but the guy who owned it NEVER did any maintenance on it....

Started when I baught it @ 10.5 MPG. (Rats nest in air box, original spark plugs, exhaust leak) I have gotten it up to 14mpg with 32 inch tires.

I was wondering what everyone else was getting?

Thought with some more work I could get it up to 15ish?

I know my old sport got around 15-16 but that was with smaller gears.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
I get 13 to 16.. 16 is all highway.. On a usual tank though 14 or 15

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man. I've had 4cylinder vehicles for the past 8yrs. Now I have a 2004 TJ 6cy inline, with 3in lift, and 33's. What a major diff on GAS! I wanna say I'm getting about 12.5-13mpg city. I've only had it for 4 days. I'm all for tips on increasing MPG's!

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 04 rubicon with stock size pittbull growlers gets between 14.5 and 16.5 depending on how enthusiastic im driving. My 96 4cly cherokee with stock gears and 33s gets 16 to 19.

·
Registered
50 Posts
make sure your speedo is correct. My first 2004 Rubi(5 spd) was all stock and the speedo was reading about 5% fast. I was getting around 15 MPG corrected.

·
Banned
139 Posts
14 mpg? :eek:

I easily squeeze 20+ from my daily-driver '05 TJL. I'm sure I could do 22 without a problem if I wasn't carrying around all the extra weight from the stretched frame.

The Wife's '01 XJ manages 21 mpg. fwy, 18 city pretty easily as well. Technique is everything.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Yup, technique is important if you're monitoring MPG-

14 mpg? :eek:

I easily squeeze 20+ from my daily-driver '05 TJL. I'm sure I could do 22 without a problem if I wasn't carrying around all the extra weight from the stretched frame.

The Wife's '01 XJ manages 21 mpg. fwy, 18 city pretty easily as well. Technique is everything.
So is climbing to 7000 ft, with a loaded 4dr !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 04 Rubicon averaged 17-18 with the stock tires. I got up to 21 once and as low as 16. Now I have a little larger tire on and have not checked since.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my 2006 LJ Rubicon consistantly gets 16-18, but I am very conscientious about how I drive. Running a 4 inch lift and 33 inch BFG AT. Before I got the lift and the bigger tires I got as high as 20 mpg averaging 65 mph on a long expressway vacation.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Drive 55 that's the secret. I went from 15 to 18 just by slowing down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Drive 55 that's the secret. I went from 15 to 18 just by slowing down.
Yea, that is the secret. The less aerodynamic, the more drag. The Jeep is obviously somewhat less aerodynamic then a cinderblock. So the faster you go the more serious drag. The sweet spot is probably around 45mph. It's the old lift/drag coefficient. (Sorry, that's flying, but the ideas the same. :) )

I'm getting 19 with my 2001 stock TJ, but I don't drive much faster then 55.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd like to know how you people that say you're getting better mpg on the highway do that? You MUST be driving 55mph all the time.

My '01 TJ get's worse gas mileage on the highway once I get over 55mph. In fact, a fairly radical drop with just one round trip to work (25 miles) if I get it up to 70mph.

Otherwise,
Driving real conservatively, I get 21.4mpg all around driving, but usually average 18 - 20mpg's.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I usually set the cruise at 60 on the highway which helps. One trick is to follow a semi van to cut wind resistance. Around town, I make every green light and drive it like a baby carriage. I shift at 1800 rpm. I buy decent fuel (not that hideous ARCO stuff) and I use decent Michelin M/S tires aired up to 32 psi.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I use a GPS to get the correct miles driven, 4.0 and 5 speed Rubi, 411 gears. Not babying it and on the open highway with 35's and suitcases for a weekend in Vegas I got about 16 MPG.
No idea about city driving - I avoid cities. Off road's a different story - not very good, but I don't care.

With my tires and ratios, it's easy to lug it, that burns gas. Keep it about 2200-2500 for the best mileage. Don't be afraid to backshift once in a while.
Best way to monitor what you are doing - use a vacuum gauge on manifold vacuum, keep the vacuum reading as high as possible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mpg

I drive Jeep.......a vehicle that is shaped like a brick, I drive conservatively but I really don't care about mileage. Its lifted and has 33's....someday when I drive it to LA I might check the MPG, if I wanted mpg I would have bought a hybrid other than a toyota, well I take that back, wouldnt buy a hybrid, or a toyota, sorry my 2 cents.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is my 1st Rubi and I am not expecing great gas mileage but the guy who owned it NEVER did any maintenance on it....

Started when I baught it @ 10.5 MPG. (Rats nest in air box, original spark plugs, exhaust leak) I have gotten it up to 14mpg with 32 inch tires.

I was wondering what everyone else was getting?

Thought with some more work I could get it up to 15ish?

I know my old sport got around 15-16 but that was with smaller gears.
Hard to say how it would compare to yours, because I live in the mountains and everything up here is on a grade, so you tend to burn more gas. But, I would reckon somewhere about 15 mpg on the highway. I also change my oil faithfully every 3000 miles, and keep the vehicle tuned up. I'd like to get a long life out of this motor.

I think once you get your vehicle tuned up, and back running like a clock, you'll see some definite improvement on your mileage. But then again, it's a Rubi......you can't expect it to be a Prius! LOL!!

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts