Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a proud owner of a base model JK, 2014 2 door. I've finally saved up some parts money and would like some opinions if using a buddies' free OEM shocks/coils from his 14 rubicon JK, is worth the trouble of changing them?

I see this all as an investment in my baby so if spending the extra money is worth it in the end I totally agree. But if it's a close call then I'll go with the OEM Rubi parts. Just ordered a warn front bumper and plan to get a winch in the very near future so I know my suspension will need some work to help support the extra weight. Lifting my jeep isn't my main focus, maybe 2 inches of lift would be nice but nothing crazy.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Here we go again. The shocks are a nice upgrade, but the coils are not inherently better in a Rubicon. Compare the last two numbers on the tag on the coils. Higher number is better. Fronts range from 12 to 19 and rears from 53 to 60.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Let us know what you find out regarding the numbers and we can give you a ball park on what change you can expect.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I installed Rubi shocks on my 08JK Sahara. Big disappointment.

after a few months I installed Rancho 9000XLs. If the Rubis weren't free take offs from a buddy I would have been considerably annoyed.

Check the comparative price between the 2; probably not much $.

For my DD on rural back roads, the Rubis were "D-". The Ranchos are "AAA+++"

YYMV

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you have a 2-door, the desirable springs would be from a 4-door (JKU).....tow package even better. 18/59 or 19/60 would give you a little lift and the higher spring rate would drive better on the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts