Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going Thursday to drive a 05 tj rubicon 6spd I know I want the rubi. Not because of the lockers. And not for that fake front d44. theres a nice lj Sport I like I know they have the d44 rears but ita a 6spd iirc as well, looking and it costed about 2g more with more miles. Is it worth it? How is the wheeling different etc

Im coming from the xj wj world any input pics of what lifts you have etc be nice.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The LJ Saharas only came as LJ Rubicon Saharas. So if you are either considering a regular TJ Rubi and a LJ Rubi Sahara id say get the LJ. They only made 1,000 LJ Sahara Rubis

·
Registered
351 Posts
LJ no doubt,

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
On my trails, longer-wheelbase Jeeps don't do as well due to the lower breakover angle. It takes more lift to provide the same clearance under an LJ than it does the shorter wheelbase TJ. Not to mention longer wheelbases are harder to get through tight-twisty offroad areas.

If you haul passengers in the back seat and/or need a ton of gear then the Unlimited is probably a good choice. If you plan more epic-level difficulty trails, perhaps the shorter wheelbase TJ is the way to go. Tough terrain is why the Jeep came out as a short wheelbase vehicle and stayed that way for so many years.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I also came from owning a several ZJ's WJ's and WK's and I would suggest you drive as many TJ as you can before deciding. Take your time. Took me 7 months of diligent searching and lots of test drives and inspections before picking one. Good luck, the looking is fun.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would go with the LJ.

I came to the Jeep world after selling my Suzuki Samurai. The Samurai is one of the smaller offroad vehicles that I am aware of. I am glad I bought a LJ and wouldn't trade it for anything smaller.

Every once in awhile someone will stretch a TJ but I have yet to see a LJ shortened.

_

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
On my trails, longer-wheelbase Jeeps don't do as well due to the lower breakover angle. It takes more lift to provide the same clearance under an LJ than it does the shorter wheelbase TJ. Not to mention longer wheelbases are harder to get through tight-twisty offroad areas.

If you haul passengers in the back seat and/or need a ton of gear then the Unlimited is probably a good choice. If you plan more epic-level difficulty trails, perhaps the shorter wheelbase TJ is the way to go. Tough terrain is why the Jeep came out as a short wheelbase vehicle and stayed that way for so many years.
I agree with Jerry and I own a LJ. Getting through tighter trails can be a bit tricky. It also sucks when you do a 5 point turn and the guy in the TJ does it in one swing. You also rub the belly a little more than a TJ due to the lower break over angle. Eventually I will put a belly up skid on my Jeep to fix this. If none of those things bother you then I say go for the LJ.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I will share with you the same thing when I was eyeing an 04 Rubi and a 05 LJ Sport.....the advice was always the same...."go get the LJ".......but the other one is a Rubicon? "Go get the LJ".......glad I listened to the voices of those who know. Like Jerry said, if you are looking for a strictly off road vehicle with difficult terrain, then the takeaway angle is better in a TJ, but if you're looking for an all around vehicle that can take on most terrain then the LJ is the answer. That extra room is a pain in the arsse, but you'll get used to it. :)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
It all boils down to your use. As others have mentioned, on hard trails and rocks, the short wheel base is really nice, but if you have to do it with a family of four, you may want to take a look at the LJ. I love my TJ, but the most I ever have with me is one other person, and very seldom do I even have the back seat installed.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
LJ, because you can fit a real cooler in the trunk. I've had both and the LJ is way way better. You can actually carry stuff in the back and take 4 people. The TJ with the soft top folded has enough room for about 2 grocery bags. You get a bit of extra leg room for the back seat too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It depends. Do you want more space with a slightly more limited offroading capability? LJ Do you want an awesome offroad rig right from stock with very little space? TJ Rubi

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At this point im not worried about space. When I go wheeling we pack 1 clothes bag 1 tent and a small coleman stove. Its just I and my gf. I normally wheel these big WJs

4in clayton la on 33s

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would go with the LJ.

I came to the Jeep world after selling my Suzuki Samurai. The Samurai is one of the smaller offroad vehicles that I am aware of. I am glad I bought a LJ and wouldn't trade it for anything smaller.

Every once in awhile someone will stretch a TJ but I have yet to see a LJ shortened.

_
True, and the stretch is not for gaining more room. All the builds I've seen have been for serious off-roading. A longer wheelbase helps in traction on steep inclines.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found the longer wheel base sucks off road. I like rocks and when I tried shooting the moon at rausch I kept getting hung up but I watched a tj go right up

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Trails steep enough for the wheelbase of a TJ vs. a longer wheelbase Jeep to make a difference and make it a go vs. no-go situation would be a no-go for 99.9% of us. Me included. It's not like we're hearing about TJs end-o'ing because of the wheelbase. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts