Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this jeep thing but I love it so far. I have a 2012 Sahara 4 door with 3" teraflex lift, teraflex shocks and steering stabilizer, smittybilt XRC MOD front bumper with full width end plates, Smittybilt SRC rock sliders, 17" xd800 misfit wheels, 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson baja MTZ tires, engo e10000 winch and everything else is stock. I am running 3.73 gears I believe. I want to do the rubicon trail next summer but what else do I need to do to be ready?

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. Go out and play in your jeep every chance you get. Your jeep (may need some skid plates) is ready, now you have to get yourself ready.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Yep practice, get to know the limits of your jeep. The Rubicon isn't impossible, just go slow and don't be bouncing around. Have a spotter that knows the capabilities of your jeep and knows how it acts. My parents did the Rubicon twice in their yj with 2" lift on 31's with zero damage. There are always bypasses for the hard stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of skid plates? Or just get everything they make? I have seen them for control arms to fuel tank. Also do you recommend an after market FDS and remove the limiting strap on the drivers side? What about gears or lockers would they be needed or highly reccomended?

·
Registered
823 Posts
As everyone said, practice. Also, it would be a good idea to go with a group. Wheeling alone can be dangerous. The things that would help the most would be skids and lockers IMO. My club is heading to Moab this summer and I already rearranged my upgrade plans (yes, I make plans on what to mod, I know I'm obsessed) to include skids and lockers first, although lockers may be out of reach money-wise for while :nonono:. Also, bring tools and spare parts on the trail in case something breaks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't have the money for lockers until spring atleast one set anyways. Should I do the front or rear if I can only do one? I found skid plates for just about everything which I'm looking into. I plan on going in a group or hopefully the jeep jamboree. I practice some in the black hills but I don't do anything too serious yet.

·
Registered
823 Posts
That depends, do you have the LSD in the rear? If so, it would be better to do the front. The Rubicon seems like it would be a blast and an experience of a lifetime. Best of luck and be safe! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The Rubicon isn't as challenging as it used to be. The little sluice and big sluice have been graded and filled in with gravel. Here is a picture from earlier this fall of the turn at the top of the big sluice. Those of you that have been there, how does this look compared to when you took that turn?:nonono:

I've done the Rubicon several times, and in addition to what you have already done with your Jeep, I would want at least one locker (rear), and at least an evap canister skid on a JK. You may also want a few spare parts. The front axle u-joint c-clips have a tendancy to work their way off, which makes the u-joint fail. So having a spare axle shaft, or at least spare axle u-joints is a good idea.

·
Registered
823 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts