Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Rubicon Recon towing 17 foot Casita

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  MMRex 
#1 ·
We are looking at purchasing a 17 foot Casita either the Liberty or Independence Deluxe to tow with our Rubicon. Anyone have firsthand experience with this combo or similar size weight trailer. How stable, any sway issues. The Casita should have a ready to travel weight of 3200-3300 lbs. I did some quick calculations on the HP required to move this setup 60mph-65HP with a 52 square foot frontal area and 8700lbs combined weight. Add a 4 percent grade and the HP required goes to 140 for the same 60mph. With 4.10 gears and stock size tires the Rubicon is turning about 2650rpm at 60mph (4th in auto trans) and makes about 115hp according to dyno charts. Seems from the calculations it should easily pull a Casita from a performance standpoint. I tow my 18 foot bass boat (about 2500lbs) 1-2 times per week and I can barely tell it is there. The frontal area of the Casita is way over what Jeep recommends as max, but the calculations indicate the power should be more than adequate. Used a drag factor .60 for the calculations which is the approximate drag factor for a modern faired semi.

#2 ·
Best thing I can think of to recommend is borrowing or renting something comparable for a weekend test run FIRST.
Rarely is having enough HP as big an issue as controlling it once moving when things go south.

#3 ·
"IF" we were to decide to pull a small travel trailer behind our Unlimited, it would definitely be a Casita. It is the closest to the design of an Air Stream which is way too expensive for what it is. The frontal area is not quite as rounded as the Air Stream, but it is not a flat as a lot of other brands. That would make the drag coefficient less of a factor at highway speeds. If I felt it a bit more than I thought I should be, I might add a small air fin or air dam to the rear of the roof to loft the air flow up higher further dropping the drag. Sounds like a fun set up!! Show us pic's when and if you get it.

#4 ·
1St power to pull is not the problem. The problem is keeping it going straight down the road. A jeep even a 4 door is a might bit squirrele. Pulling a boat with weight dist. is far different than than a higher profile TT. Also as you stated above what Jeep recommends. That fact alone could put you in legal jeopardy if "God forbid" you get in trouble. I have towed many different trailers with many different vehicles over many thousands of miles and believe me nothing spoils a weekend outing like arriving white knuckled and totally exhausted trying to keep your rig going in a straight line.

#5 · (Edited)
If that trailer has a 52 Sq.Ft. frontal area, that a problem. The maximum trailer frontal area for a 4-door Jeep is 32 Sq.Ft.

You'll also exceed the GCWR of the Rubicon which is 8,326 Lbs (manual) or 8,355 Lbs (automatic)

And you'll be very close to the tow rating...

I recently towed a U-Haul trailer that was right at 32 sq.ft. and put me just under GCWR and I struggled; had to take some interstate inclines in 3rd gear to maintain 55 mph. My engine temps went up to 244F.

#9 ·
If that trailer has a 52 Sq.Ft. frontal area, that a problem. The maximum trailer frontal area for a 4-door Jeep is 32 Sq.Ft.
^This! That's more than 150% of max frontal area.

Jeeps do not make good tow vehicles.

I've towed a lot with a cargo trailer that is smaller than that, and was not happy. That's what the truck is for now.

#6 ·
I would consider a very nice tent trailer for the JKU with probably more room than the Casita. My real RV is a Ram 2500 4x4 diesel and a 31 foot 8000lb trailer so I know what towing is. IMO,, the 3.6 and the JK is just not going to like the weight and the constant wind resistance.

Reactions: ian9614
#7 ·
If you decide to do it, your engine coolant temperatures may exceed their designed limits..not good..

#16 ·
I have a stock 2014 JKUR and occasionally tow my buddies 17' Escape (same style as Casita, slightly less weight) and it's not the most enjoyable experience. I haven't taken it on the interstate, but even in the mountains where the limit is 55, it's not an easy tow. Doable, yes, enjoyable, less so.

#17 ·
I have an Aliner Ranger 12 offroad and I have pulled it thru Montana, Utah, Idaho, and Washington and you do not even know it is back there. It has a dry weight of around 1700lbs and GVWR of 3000lb and I suppose I have had it up to 2700give or take.

Reactions: WillB
#19 ·
After doing a bunch of searches I don't think I will have any problem with a Casita. Found lots of folks pulling Jayco Hummingbirds and RPods with JKU's without any issues. Both of those have more frontal area and about the same weight. I had a 2013 Taco prior to my previous JK and the current Recon tows my bass boat much better. The 275-300 lb tongue weight sagged the Taco considerably but they were notorious for having soft rear springs. The Recon has firmer suspension and more HP. Not sure where where the 8355lb GCWR posted earlier came from but the GCWR for my Recon is 9200lb according to the owners manual. The GVW is 5700. Looks like Jeep is giving it's blessing to towing 3500 with the tow vehicle at GVW, 9200-3500=5700.

#20 ·
i think you will be fine the majority of the time. I had a jayco 195rb and it weighed 2900b dry and gvwr was 3500lb and on flats it was fine. Mountains not so fine but I am guessing Texas is mostly flat.

#22 ·
I have a 2015 Casita and pull it with a 2014 JKU, Automatic Trans, 4.10 axles, Sway Bar, carrier on the back for Generator, Brake Controller and stock M/T tires. We've been to Alaska, Western Canada, and the Western US. Try to cruise between 65 and 70. Had to take grill inserts out, didn't think it was getting enough air.
I think you will be alright if you don't expect it to perform like a diesel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.