Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered new JK Sport Unlimited. Any one put Rubicon wheels with 285's on one? We don't like the stock rims on the sport. WE are also going to put a Teriflex leveling kit on it. Wanting to keep a semi stock look and the Rubicon wheels are pretty cool, My dealer has a set of take off's I can get. The jeep is Black with non painted fenders, Any thought or suggestions?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Consider getting a set of 1.5" spacers to widen your stance, and aid in clearance with the 285's.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
At least around here, Rubicon wheels are on Craigslist all the time, with and without the OEM tires. If nothing else, you can use it to price check your dealer.

Mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
i did this same swap,,no clearance on regular on road driving but the speedometer is gonna be off.so now when my speedometer 60mph i am going 66mph

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Despite the increased tire width, if your overall tire diameter will be larger than what the JK sport comes with, you will need to reprogram the vehicle for the increased tire size, if your dealer swaps your stock wheels for Rubicon rims and tires before you drive off the lot, they should be the ones reprogramming your computer for you. If the vehicle you bought already comes with 32" tires and your just swapping for wider 32" ones, you won't have issue with speedometer and rev points.

With 285 tires you may be rubbing especially on the air dam as you fully turn your wheels so you may need to trim the air dam (very easy to do), or consider getting 1.25" wheel spacers (adapters) installed, they will give your vehicle a wider stance, probably look better, handle a little better and solve your rubbing issues, with the only downside being that you need to check their torque every so often, but this is easily done during tire rotations. They're a relatively cheap mod too.

If it were me, I would not be paying the dealer a $1000-$2000 premium for Rubicon wheels which is what they'll likely ask for. Even on our Canadian market, people are selling like-new Rubicon wheels with tires for about $1000-$1200, wheels alone can be had for about $400-$500. Plus you can sell your existing sport wheels and tires for at least a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer has a set of (5) Rubi rims only. $600. I was planning on going with a Toyo 2 Or Nitto 285's

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sounds good, but like stated you'll want a set of wheel spacers to go with your leveling kit or you are going to get rubbing when turned lock to lock.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Don't pay more than 350-400 for a set of Rubi take offs. Or $1000 with tires...

·
Registered
582 Posts
How much can I reasonably expect to get out of my Hard Rock wheels? Or wheels and tires with 17k miles on them? I'm not seeing anything local on Craigslist.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I just sold my Rubi rims and OEM MTs from my 2016 with less then 800 miles on them, all 5 for $800 on CL.
Yep... Not surprised. Glad you got something out of them. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I picked up my mint Rubi wheels for $300 with no tires. That is fairly common around here. There is always the $1000 set but they languish on CL for months. Tire Rack has the stock Rubi MT tires for $133 right now if thats your pleasure. Im running my stock sport tires for now. I just put my 2.5 lift on last week and I am all over the road with what size tires to get.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
That's with the Teraflex leveling kit (2" front, 1" back spacer lift).

Not great pics but here are a couple...
Nice looking Jeep. Do you know how tall/ wide those tires measure out to be mounted and under the weight of the jeep?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts