Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey what did you paint your doorless mirrors with? I have the same ones and want to paint them black.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey what did you paint your doorless mirrors with? I have the same ones and want to paint them black.
sent you a message also...
just scuffed the metal areas lightly with some fine sand paper and then rattle can painted them a satin black.

_

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
after feeling how hot the accessories get under the hood of the Jeep I decided to add the Poison Spider hood louvers. I doubt the louvers will cool the engine much and I am not over heating but I do hope it helps in lower the temps in the engine bay area.

The install took longer than expected but I really took my time and triple checked everything as I went along. and I was working by myself. The hood is a bit awkward to remove and replace by yourself but it can easily be done.

-

-

-

-

-

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have a 6 speed manual and the stock 4.10 diff gears. The 35" tires made 1st gear usable now. With stock tires 1st gear (in high range) is so low it is almost not usable. I still take off in second gear sometimes with 35's. I will probably change gearing some day but with the manual 6 speed the gearing isn't bad at all. I've heard the auto transmission setup is totally different and needs to have some diff gearing redone to work decent.
These are my thoughts too. The jeep looks sick! Great work.:awesome:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Jeep started throwing CEL a couple of weeks ago (P0431). From reading online it could be a few issues but looked like it was probably the catalytic convertors needed replaced. I checked to make sure the exhaust was tight and it was. I reset the light and it popped back on in 50 miles. I pulled my cats and I found the rearward cat was busted loose and sitting off to the side. I went ahead and bought the new cats and replaced all four of the O2 sensors while I was at it.

-
-
Melted on a set of Currie mini skids. I say 'melted' as I am not qualified enough to call myself a welder.
The passenger side lower control arm mount was tweaked very slightly so glad I reinforced it before it got worse with the next rock that gets smashed into it.

-
-
I also made a RotoPax mounting point for a 3 gal gas can. I just used some metal plate cut to fit. Melted it to the tire carrier and was done. Super simple and hopefully it holds up to the weight of the gas while offroading.

-

-

-
-
I used some 3/4" square tube and some eye bolts to mount up a flag mount. It mounts by one nut so it is easy to remove/mount the entire setup.
The flag is from West Marine and supposed to hold up to the abuse of the weather and wind as it is made for boats. I was also told by the local store that this is the same flag the local firemen use on the firetrucks.
Bought from here : TAYLOR MADE 50-Star U.S. Flags | West Marine

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The doors on my Jeep had never been removed. The paint had never been cracked on them so I figured I would give it a try and see how I liked driving without doors.
I needed to run mirrors but hated the idea of buying expensive mirror especially if I didn't like running with the doors off.

I found this write up and it worked pretty easy. Super simple and cheap !
If I decide I like running with the doors off I may make some sturdier arms for the mirrors to mount on as these seem flimsy.

Here is the link to where I got the instructions for mine:
Jeep Doorless Budget Mirror Mount

and some pics :

-

-

-

-

-
I decided to go ahead and upgrade the mirror brackets to something that is a little more sturdy than the thin/flimsy ones that come with the mirrors.
I used 8" long metal bar that is 3/16" thick and 1" wide.
Super simple and a lot more sturdy of a mount !!
Just need some paint and these will be done.

-

-

-
\
-

-

·
Registered
776 Posts
^ Did you cut them into 8" lengths?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey were you able to drive with your new brackets and are they sturdy?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes, just did yesterday.
Hit the freeway with them and they are rock solid. Less vibes than even the stock mirrors on the doors.
Worked out great !

_
Cool! We add that to my to do list...

·
Registered
422 Posts
So what are you doing with all of the extra room you now have inside your jeep compared to the Samurai :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Any balancing issues with the MTRs yet?
YES...
to start out I had huge balancing issues. 4 wheel parts claimed it was the cheap steel rims as they claimed they were warped and were not going to be available again for months... so they up sold me to the aluminum wheels and returned the steel. Didn't change a thing, but I was done there so I moved on....
I still had the balance issue and took them a 'Just Tires'. They were able to balance them by the stud holes instead of the center bore since the center bore is not hub centric. The finger plate balancing helped but it wasn't perfect.
I took it to an 'America's Tire' and explained the problem I was having. They assured me they could get it correct. The Assst Manager handled it personally and used a 'road force' balancing machine and the finger plate to balance it by the stud bolt holes. He actually dismounted the tires and spun them around on the rims and worked some magic... He got them pretty well balanced and I haven't had any issues with the tire balance since.

_

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So what are you doing with all of the extra room you now have inside your jeep compared to the Samurai :)
Haha, yeah... huge difference in interior space.
Now I have 'extra' space. The Samurai was full with just an ammo can with tools and a couple tow straps.

I really liked that little Samurai. It always surprised everyone with how capable it was/is.

_

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think Jeeps that are blacked out are an ugly trend on WF. That being said the build was top notch.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts