Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I think Jeeps that are blacked out are an ugly trend on WF. That being said the build was top notch.
Yeah, seems to be a popular trend but one I am not super fond of it myself.... but each person has their own eye for what looks good for them.

I didn't really 'black out' much of anything on mine. I ended up with alot of black parts but I decide against taking off the chrome front and just left it since it was part of the Rubicon Sahara package.

Latest pic of mine on the Rubicon Trail last month :

_

·
Registered
295 Posts
Seen pix of your rig around, but didn't know you had a build. Very interesting read! Going back a page... Did you install an air line to the front or rear of your rig from your compressor? Or do you just use the flexible 35' hoses? Anything you would change if you were to do OBA again? One last question, am I correct in assuming you hard-mounted your compressor? Sharp Jeep man, keep it up!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Seen pix of your rig around, but didn't know you had a build. Very interesting read! Going back a page... Did you install an air line to the front or rear of your rig from your compressor? Or do you just use the flexible 35' hoses? Anything you would change if you were to do OBA again? One last question, am I correct in assuming you hard-mounted your compressor? Sharp Jeep man, keep it up!
For me an air line front and rear was just silly... didn't want the added chances for air leaks and it really wasn't needed. The hose I've carried for years reaches front and back tires without issue from the compressor.

I have an air hose from my old rig that had an ARB air up kit on it. The ARB hose is 20' long and coils up small. Super easy to use and lays flat without trying to fight you like the yellow harbor freight self-coil hoses.

Nothing I would change on my air setup so far.

Compressor is hard mounted.

Here is the hose I use :

-

Here is the compressor hard mounted.

-

·
Registered
199 Posts
As I said before, love your build! You work fast. What is it about the original OPDA that fails? I don't hear any monkeys, but for $110 I would enjoy the piece of mind as well. Where in So Cal are you? I spent a few months in Escondido. If I had a plan (aka a job) I probably would have stayed there, but ended up moving back home. Beautiful place though!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
As I said before, love your build! You work fast. What is it about the original OPDA that fails? I don't hear any monkeys, but for $110 I would enjoy the piece of mind as well. Where in So Cal are you? I spent a few months in Escondido. If I had a plan (aka a job) I probably would have stayed there, but ended up moving back home. Beautiful place though!

Here is a bunch of info on the OPDA.
Tons of reading : 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - JeepForum.com
Here is a thread about the latest and greatest CROWN brand replacement OPDA : New OPDA design for 05-06 TJ's from CROWN? - JeepForum.com

_

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
broken axle joint turned into a larger project now...

Lower ball joints were worn and loose so since I have to replace them I might as well install the Artec C gussets. I was also looking at replacing the upper control arm bushings on the axle with Johnny Joints and found the Artec axle truss comes with them. Figured I might as well truss it too for an $80 difference.

Axle housing pulled.... now waiting for the parts to get here.

-

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Was it delivered with U-joint installed? If so, I really hope they warranty that for you!
no, axles come un-assembled. A person has to install the the u-joints.

My options with ALLOY axle shafts for warranty were to send it into Alloy for a warranty replacement... OR .... take it back to the place I purchased it (4 Wheel Parts).

I took the axle pieces into 4 Wheel Parts and they punched up an order for a new axle, stub shaft, and u-joint. No issues or problems other than having to wait for it to be shipped in.

Warranty process was SUPER simple so far.... no just have to wait for the new parts to get here.

_

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Picked up my warrantied front axle shaft.... but decided to switch it up on the axle shafts.

Front axle is trussed and back under it. New Johnny Joints on the axle end of the upper control arms and new ball joints. Not sure which or if both contributed to it feeling alot stiffer driving down the road. Just feels better driving down the road now.

Decided to try to sell the Alloy USA front axle shafts and upgrade to RCV axle shafts.
....and just found out Vanco now has a brake kit that will work with RCV axles so going to put that on the 'to-do' list.

-

-

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I love me some orange balls ;)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
The front axle seals started leaking after installing the RCV axles.
Of course to replace the axle seals involve taking the axles back out and pulling out the carrier.

Super simple job after gathering some info on the forums and watching a couple youtube videos.

Took about 4 hours to swap front axle seals and didn't require any new special tools.

-

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The exhaust got caught on a rock while backing up and folded the tip down.
The bend in the exhaust was over the axle.

I ended up cutting off the exhaust after the muffler, moved the muffler closer to the skid plate and just welding the tip back onto the muffler.

Some people on the forums have said that this will cause heat issues underneath and others have run this way with zero issues.... not sure who to believe. I don't want issues so I am going to go by the local muffler shop and see what they think. They do a lot of custom exhaust work and I trust their opinion on if I need to redo the exhaust or if it is fine the way it is.

-

-

-

61 - 80 of 87 Posts