Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am new to all of this. Would you take a look at the pic of the side of my Jeep at the bottom? I am installing side steps tomorrow and just noticed the bottom appears to have an armored wall of sorts. Maybe this is oem for a Rubicon? Please no flaming, I just bought this last week and am learning! Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For clarity, I have watched side step install videos and the sides on video tend to have a more "unfinished" base.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Those are your rock rails. They are standard on the Rubicon. The Rubicon is an off road vehicle, that's why they are there.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They protect the sides of the Jeep from rocks and other hard bumps they may take. Very important for off-roading. If you wanted side steps and don't plan to off-road much, a Sahara may have been a better Jeep for you

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
They are standard on Rubicons and are there to protect the vehicle while off roading. Check with your side step vendor for fitment advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait, the rubicon is an offroad vehicle?! Lol. It's always funny how people make the sahara references and "offroad vehicle" references, like I didnt know what I was buying.

I am installing rock sliders. Good to know they are standard on the rubicon. That explains the difference in what I have been seeing. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Wait, the rubicon is an offroad vehicle?! Lol. It's always funny how people make the sahara references and "offroad vehicle" references, like I didnt know what I was buying. I am installing rock sliders. Good to know they are standard on the rubicon. That explains the difference in what I have been seeing. Thank you.
I'm confused. Are you installing side steps or rock sliders?

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
It's always funny how people make the sahara references and "offroad vehicle" references, like I didnt know what I was buying.
The steel rock rails vs plastic side steps is one of the foundational differences between the two, so in a way, you didn't. No big deal, but it threw us off; welcome and carry on!

·
Super Moderator
10,613 Posts
It's like a chain smoker going for a puff right behind a gasoline tanker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts