Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before someone lectures me on ground clearance i had back surgery and 19 days ago I broke my hip and had hip replacement. I'm also 70 years old and just not as young and nibble as I'm use to be and that includes my wife. I'm still trying to talk my wife into a Rubicon and having a step would probably seal the deal over the Sahara. We plan on ordering tomorrow.

Here is the question. The Rubicon comes with steel rock protectors instead of steps is there a after market source to bolt on steps onto the factory rock guards?

Reactions: RubiconSS

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts
Any particular reason you are focused on a Rubicon? Saharas come standard with side steps, and even offer an optional rock rail with built-in step.

Standard Sahara side steps

Mopar rock rail with built-in side step optional on Sahara

I can’t speak for the optional rock rails, but the side steps standard on Sahara are very comfortable.

If you are set on a Rubicon, you could also replace the rock rails with up a set of used Sahara side steps from Craigslist. They are easy to swap.

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts
PS - if your surgery doesn’t allow you to crawl under the Jeep to swap the rock rails, when you are buying the Rubicon ask the dealer to swap the rock rails for a set of Sahara side steps. It shouldn’t take them more than 20 minutes to do.

I wouldn’t pay extra for them, either: they would be keeping a set of Rubicon rock rails, which are worth more than the Sahara side steps.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts
BTW, Jeep just announced a Rubicon “Recon” package for 2020. It looks like it comes with the Mopar rock rails with built-in side steps —and the steel bumpers.

But again, I can’t say if they are actually wide enough to step on them. You can ask someone who owns a JL Moab; it has the same rock rails.

There’s a discussion on another thread already: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f714/2020-rubicon-recon-2387833.html

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any particular reason you are focused on a Rubicon? Saharas come standard with side steps, and even offer an optional rock rail with built-in step.

Standard Sahara side steps

Mopar rock rail with built-in side step optional on Sahara

I can’t speak for the optional rock rails, but the side steps standard on Sahara are very comfortable.

If you are set on a Rubicon, you could also replace the rock rails with up a set of used Sahara side steps from Craigslist. They are easy to swap.

NO NO NO Not the Sahara - That's what my wife keeps saying we should get. GRIN

Thanks for all the replies but I'm really stuck on the Rubicon, my next purchase will probably be a caddy with top speed of 45MPH. I sure you seen them with old fart at the wheel.:censored:

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
2021 wrangler Sahara Unlimited. Fully loaded , cold weather package, tow package, One touch Sky top
128 Posts
Before someone lectures me on ground clearance i had back surgery and 19 days ago I broke my hip and had hip replacement. I'm also 70 years old and just not as young and nibble as I'm use to be and that includes my wife. I'm still trying to talk my wife into a Rubicon and having a step would probably seal the deal over the Sahara. We plan on ordering tomorrow.

Here is the question. The Rubicon comes with steel rock protectors instead of steps is there a after market source to bolt on steps onto the factory rock guards?
I’m in the same boat. My wife and I both want a new Rubicon. Same age hip and knee replacement. Member of the old farts club.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've always liked (but not bought) the ACE rock Sliders. They are rock rails that will act as a step and they are attractive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts

Another old duffer here. As someone else mentioned, have the dealer do it for you without charge. I added the Sahara steps to my rig, along with splash guards (mud flaps). The step is fantastic for getting in and out and keeping dirt off of the side of the vehicle. The splash guards are somewhat rigid but hold up very well when bent front or back, no worries there and they fill a void that would allow dirt to splash through. Honestly, one of the best things you can do for yourself and the wife. Wishing you two the best with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.We got it order today so the wait begins. We going with stock rock guards and if they don't work we will replace them with something we like better than the Sahara steps. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I plan to get the Mopar steel bumpers next.
The Mopar steel bumpers are great. I had them on my 2014 and made sure I got them on my 2020. I had a deer hit me doing about 60 on the right side. It broke a headlight, marker light, fender flare but nothing to the body or bumper.

·
Registered
300 Posts
.We got it order today so the wait begins. We going with stock rock guards and if they don't work we will replace them with something we like better than the Sahara steps. Thanks everyone for the help.
A member of the "older" crowd here also. I was going to suggest my tactic to you, get your wife the Sahara and get yourself the Rubicon. I bought a 16 Hard Rock and she liked it and the friends we made along the way. I had mine in for service and she saw an Ocean Blue Sahara she liked and bought that. Now I am presently negotiating on a new Rubicon. I still need to get steps so she can get in and am looking for a set that allows me to keep the Rock Rails. Good luck on your new ride, any details you care to share?

We should start a thread, 55+ Jeepers.

·
Registered
946 Posts
There are tons of steps available. I got a set of Smittybilts. Only about $375 at Extremeterrain. Not super easy to put on, but not bad either. Maybe take you an hour, mostly because there a bunch of bolts to remove from the stock rails, and you have to bolt the steps in through the frame (on mine anyways).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts