Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I'm finally have sometime to plan a trip to the Rubicon Trail. I want to see if there is anyone else that would like to tag along.
So far this is what I have. Leaving SoCal area Monday August 21st around 9 am. Which it will put us up there by night time. New day hit the trail around 9 am again. Planning of spending at least 1 night on the trail to then make out, on the Lake Tahoe side on Wednesday night. Stay 1 night in Tahoe and make our way back by Friday.
This is a family trip, so I'm planning to take it easy on the trail. That means no bypasses, stick to the trail, but no alcohol and or drugs.
This is my first time up there. Done several day trips up in BB.
Ideally we would like to wheel with someone that has done the tail before.
As of right now I have my buddy coming with me. Both our rigs are capable of making the journey.
Any advise on the trail is appreciated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
This is a family trip, so I'm planning to take it easy on the trail. That means no bypasses, stick to the trail, but no alcohol and or drugs.
/QUOTE]

Well if there are no alcohol or drugs involved I'm out. I cant wait till next week to get really trashed and run Black Bear and Imogene near Ouray........:D

We are doing Ouray this year and are planning the Rubicon next year. Have a great and safe trip. (maybe a nice single malt around the fire in the evening with a great Padron 1926 cigar).

Reactions: Capt. Jon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahahahah. Ok ok so I may have been a little "extreme" about the alcohol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Me and a buddy of mine are taking our jeeps to the Rubicon Trail Sept 7,8,9. Going to be a blast. This will be our 1st time doing it

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trip has been postponed. I screwed up my back and the result is that I cannot sitting in a car longer than 30-40 mins. So damn it.....I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me and a buddy of mine are taking our jeeps to the Rubicon Trail Sept 7,8,9. Going to be a blast. This will be our 1st time doing it

Perhaps I can tag along? I hope that by then I will be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have fun...I was up there a few weeks ago. The back country is so beautiful and I recommend taking the run over a few days. We did it in 12 hours and it was exhausting, not to mention that taking too long a rest in some of the more scenic spots was out of the question in order to stay on time. This was my first time and I'm looking forward to again. My wife & kids walked or ran nearly the entire time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For those who have done it: just how challenging is it, really? What is the real potential for screwing up your rig or injury?

·
Registered
37 Posts
For those who have done it: just how challenging is it, really? What is the real potential for screwing up your rig or injury?
I went up there just on August 5th for the first time ever. My dad wanted to go and check out the trail and scenery as he had heard that it's gorgeous from a friend. My buddy took his JKU Rubicon with 2" lift and 33s. The plan was to just make the hour and a half drive, take a few pictures, and then leave... Well when we made it there we thought it would be a waste if we didn't at least go and check things out. So we aired down and off we went.

We made it to Gatekeeper and my buddy probably could have made it through, but there was no way I would make it through without dragging my Jeep over the rocks. I am sure some folks wouldn't have any qualms of doing it, but hey, that was my second week of owning my Jeep and I wasn't ready to start bashing it. FWIW, there was another Jeeper that pulled up behind me in her lifted Sport with 35s and she scraped going through Gatekeeper as well. Admittedly she just picked a line and went for it. We heard scraping and banging for a good five minutes or so while we hung out and watched others pass through. There was some :beerdrinking: involved though...

There was a REALLY nice black JKU on 37s that stopped to chat with us (everyone seemed to be really amused to see a stock Rubicon with dealer plates haha). He had no problem navigating through Gatekeeper.

Supposedly you can take a Rubicon Jeep and run through the whole Rubicon Trail stock, but I am not sure how much rock stacking or scraping it takes to do it. Maybe with 33s, armor, and some really careful lines it could be done, but I know we won't be back until we have 35s (and I get a lift).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Perhaps I can tag along? I hope that by then I will be fine.

Anyone who wants to bring their jeep and come along is welcome. My jeep is my daily driver as well so I admit I'm a little nervous about breaking something but what the hell you only live once!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went up there just on August 5th for the first time ever. My dad wanted to go and check out the trail and scenery as he had heard that it's gorgeous from a friend. My buddy took his JKU Rubicon with 2" lift and 33s. The plan was to just make the hour and a half drive, take a few pictures, and then leave... Well when we made it there we thought it would be a waste if we didn't at least go and check things out. So we aired down and off we went.

We made it to Gatekeeper and my buddy probably could have made it through, but there was no way I would make it through without dragging my Jeep over the rocks. I am sure some folks wouldn't have any qualms of doing it, but hey, that was my second week of owning my Jeep and I wasn't ready to start bashing it. FWIW, there was another Jeeper that pulled up behind me in her lifted Sport with 35s and she scraped going through Gatekeeper as well. Admittedly she just picked a line and went for it. We heard scraping and banging for a good five minutes or so while we hung out and watched others pass through. There was some :beerdrinking: involved though...

There was a REALLY nice black JKU on 37s that stopped to chat with us (everyone seemed to be really amused to see a stock Rubicon with dealer plates haha). He had no problem navigating through Gatekeeper.

Supposedly you can take a Rubicon Jeep and run through the whole Rubicon Trail stock, but I am not sure how much rock stacking or scraping it takes to do it. Maybe with 33s, armor, and some really careful lines it could be done, but I know we won't be back until we have 35s (and I get a lift).
So I have a 3.5" lift with 35's. Will that navigate the trail without too much damage? We are taking 3 days to do the trip so that we can take our time over the trail and enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So I have a 3.5" lift with 35's. Will that navigate the trail without too much damage? We are taking 3 days to do the trip so that we can take our time over the trail and enjoy the scenery.
Having done parts of the trail, I'd say what you have is fine if you're prepared for plenty of scrapes. But since I like my jeep and don't like unexpected problems, I wouldn't do it without skids and rock rails too.

·
Super Moderator
23,437 Posts
a rig with 35's should not have much of an issue. Definitely want rocker skids tho. I did it with two other jeeps all were running 35's and 2.5-3.5 lifts. Nobody suffered any damage at all. we spent 2 nights on the trail and we were glad we did, too nice to just drive thru without enjoying it. first night we stayed at little sluice and the next at Rubicon springs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably an important part to have is an aftermarket diff cover. The stock one will open up at the first rock you hit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was hoping my stock Rubicon Recon could handle it as I'd like to make it out there sometime, but that sounds like a no-go. 32" tires and only the 1/2" factory lift.

·
Super Moderator
23,437 Posts
I was hoping my stock Rubicon Recon could handle it as I'd like to make it out there sometime, but that sounds like a no-go. 32" tires and only the 1/2" factory lift.
a stock jeep can do it, you just need to be careful with your lines. You will need to bypass little sluice but that is about it. Pick good lines and you wont have an issue.

Reactions: dj311

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Did it 2 years ago with a buddy and a few rigs. Damage can happen and you will hear the bottom side make contact. Things can brake as there are some big rocks to go over. If you don't like rocks do not go there. I remember the gate keeper as one of the rough spots. Passed a lady in a FJ with the thing covered in the padded brush pads. She had no clue really and never say it again. The Dusy Ershim is 3X as tough as the Rubicon and much of it is at 8000 ft+. Sharper rocks and longer.

·
Super Moderator
23,437 Posts
I agree about the Dusy being tougher. I'd do the Rubicon again in a heartbeat but not the Dusy as once was enough. Still we did not suffer any damage on the dusy and glad I crossed it off the bucket list.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just got done with the Rubicon trail on Sept 9th. It was a blast! I didn't have to be winched (thank god!). I sustained about $100 in damage (bent a sway arm link). We took 3 days to do the trail, we camped at Buck Island lake the first night, it took 8 hours to go 5 miles and then we camped at Rubicon Springs the 2nd night. The toughest parts of the trail for us was the last section of the Big sluce and then Cadillac hill only because that is stressful!! All in all the trail was challenging and a blast!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts