Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Rubicon Vs. Sport? Is it worth the price difference?

17K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  JK Coaster 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm getting ready for my next rig and I have to say with the D44 axles out back of the Sport and same engine in all JKs and the differences in price between Rubi vs Sport I'm having a hard time justifying the price difference.

What do the new Rubi's have that differ from the Sport other than:

4:1 trans case
d44 up front
4:11 gears (not a biggie, I will be ordering with 3.73)
electronic sway bar disconnects
front/rear e-locker
Pretty hood sticker

Am I missing anything to justify the huge difference in price?

I'm looking for a rig for running fire roads and some rough trails at the cottage maybe twice a month, otherwise it'll be on the road.

I'm leaning towards a Sport with connectivity package, 3.73s, hardtop (no soft top, I'll buy a trek NX) tube rails and that's about it.

First thing I will be doing is leveling kit and 33x12.5x16 on DC2's or the Moabs from Quadratec.

I think the above mentioned rig will suit my needs.. but I don't want to make a decision I may regret, so I'd like to hear some opinions on why a Rubi is much better rig over a Sport other than the lockers..

Out of curiosity if I wanted to throw a locker in the sport, anyone know what it would cost? I'm thinking 2Kish?

Is there a big difference between a Rubi D44 and a Sport D44 in terms of gusseting, spline count, etc?

For the difference in price, I'm thinking I could out fit a Sport with more goodies than a Rubi comes factory with if I wanted..

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're in the opinion that the differences are "not much", then that tells me that you see no need for those features and hence, no need for a Rubi. Based on that, you're better off saving the money and go with the Sport.

To those who do benefit from the lockers, the 44 up front, the disconnects, etc, that price difference is actually a good deal (unless you want specific lockers or Dana 44, etc).

#3 ·
I hate to be the guy that points to the search button instead of answering, but there have been countless threads on numerous forums all arguing and working out the math on this.

The general consensus seems to be you would be hard pressed to buy a sport and then replace all the parts to rubi-equivalents and come out ahead (you're looking at $1500-$2000 for the two lockers alone). If you factor in install and labor costs, it becomes even more lopsided towards the rubi.

Conversely, it makes more sense to purchase a sport if you're planning on doing a major build as you're replacing less expensive parts.

Of course, it also comes down to what you think you want and/or need. That's something you have to decide on :)

#9 ·
Jag, thanks for pointing out the "search" button. I'm on enough forums, I should have thought of that :doh:

The difference between a base sport and rubi here in Canada (on Jeep.ca) is $19,945 vs. $31,045.

$11K price difference I think would cover quite a bit of mods. Rims/tires (33s or 35s), lift,LSD for the front, sway bar disconnects and I think maybe still have funds left over.. however I will admit I haven't done the math yet.

Off to study one of the many other threads... :hide:

#15 ·
Rubicons hold resale value better, if that's a concern.

No they don't. You pay more for them from the get go therefore you may get a little more when selling it or trading it in, but that by far does not mean that they hold their value better. Actually a lot of times I heard the opposite is true. Generally the more expensive a vehicle is the more they loose of their value.

#5 ·
I'm looking for a rig for running fire roads and some rough trails at the cottage maybe twice a month, otherwise it'll be on the road.
Doesn't sound like this type of driving would be any problem at all for a base model - The lockers / sway disconnects probably won't be worth it in my opinion.

I have a sport - and I've found ground clearance and lack of armor to be the largest limiting factor so far. If I got into a situation where I actually needed the lockers / sway disconnects - I'd probably also need a big lift kit.

#6 ·
I had the same reservations regarding sport vs rubicon

I ended up getting a sport and could not be happier

I have been off roading about 8 times, and on some fairly tough terrain, and will say there hasn't been a moment when I said "hmm, I should have gotten a rubicon." I wheel with several others who have rubicons and have been to the same places.

In fact, the rubicons break more than the sport, it may give wheelers a false sense of security.

#10 ·
There shouldn't be any monthly payments.. Just trying to decide which will have a greater impact on my piggy bank... a stock Rubi or modded Sport..

#12 ·
If you want one with all the fancy bells and whistles jump on a rubicon. if you plan on modding to a certain degree then save the extra duckets and get a sport or sport S.

i originally wanted a 10a unlimited rubicon but decided a 2014 copperhead sport would be more to my liking plus i order it the way i want instead of paying for something off a dealership lot with crap i dont need....

anywhoo good luck do keep us updated on what you decide

#17 ·
less then a year ago I was having the same dilemma and foolishly ended up getting a sport. 9 or 10 months and 14000 miles later I am dealing on a Rubicon and I should have done it from the get go as I would have been further ahead. I thought when I got it I don't need lockers and a 44 front or 4.10 gears and 4.1 transfercase or electric disconnect but one day spent off-roading with 2 rubicons changed all that lol. I did Moab and was happy as a lark in my sport doing the moderate rated trails, but 8 hours of harder core wheeling and seeing how much easier those rubis handled rough rocky steep trails has me rethinking every think lol.

#22 ·
Just because you tried trails without upgrading the jeep first doesn't mean it was a mistake to buy the sport. I go lots of places that stock rubicons don't (and my jeep isn't extreme by any means though I have put some money in it). Buying the sport was only a bad idea for you if you believed you never had to put money in it to gain performance.

#19 ·
I'm in this same boat right now. When I build on USAA the price difference is about 5000 difference. I currently live in flat part of TX where the only hills are called over passes or high five interchanges. But I have an interview in Denver and hopes of moving there in the near future. I don't plan on doing any intentional rock crawling and that's what I heard is where the Rubicon parts are crucial. I do have plans of going off road in the mountains and I plan on modest mods like a 2-3" lift with larger tires so I'm leaning towards the sport. But then part of me will probably wish I would have got the JKUR.

#20 ·
Rubicon vs. Sport

I would go for the Rubicon, it is nearing the end of the 2013 model year so check out as many dealers as you can and make the best deal on close outs. Is it worth the price? Probably not but "always buy the very best and you will never be dissatisified" I have a 2012 Rubicon and would not change.:punk:

#24 ·
IMO...It's only worth the price if you're willing to pay for it.

From a logistical standpoint, lockers and disconnects aren't going to do you a whole lot of good in snow/ice or on everyday novice off road trail running (ie, running up to the cottage, driving down an old trail to a trout stream, etc), and the added strength of the D44 up front is going to be wasted if you aren't going to be rock crawling or doing any serious wheeling adventures.

It sounds to me like a Sport is exactly what you want. If you're ordering, just make sure you get the Limited Slip Differential and you shouldn't have any issues getting to where you want to go. Save that extra 10k for Timbits and poutine. ;)

#26 ·
This is probably some of the rougher stuff I've encountered.. Nothing too crazy..

I think I had the sway bar disconnected, but probably not the axles locked.

Timbits and poutine? :rolleyes: More likely will be spent on some good beer unlike that watered down stuff they call beer in the US... :hide:

I'm thinking a Sport it will be.. now to decide between 4dr and 2dr.. :confused::whistling:

#28 ·
That was a JKUR.. My last '08. Nice, but I hated the engine. If it had the pentastar I'd probably still have it.

Also, I was never really sure how I felt about 4 doors but with having a small child needing a car seat, it was nice. Now that he's older, I think a 2 dr will do..

#30 ·
I say go sport, with stock LSD and upgrade from there..

You can most likely regear and add lockers cheaper than the price of the Rubi. And my sport transfer case takes me where the Rubicons go no problem.

To do it over again I would not have got the Rubicon. The D44 is not really any stronger just has better axle shafts. The ARB lockers will be much better than the stock lockers.

#38 ·
So you have a Rubicon and wish you would have gotten a sport? What exact reasoning? I asked because I have a 2013 Sport unlimited and am dealing on a Rubicon so I would love to be talked out of it. I have priced getting regeared and a locker in front (already have LSD) and it is a chunk of money $2000 just for the regear at reputable places one reason being is I want 4.10 and no aftermarket 4.10 out there.

Haven't you heard.. Jeep voids your warranty as soon as you drive off the lot.. *L*
Not if you don't over mod *.*
At least my dealer is reputed to be jeep friendly.

#31 ·
I bought my 13 sport back in September with intentions of building it as I get the money and making it the way I wanted. Money is always the limiting factor. It now has a 2.5" TF spring lift and 33x12.50/15 Duratracs. Few other small mods. Fact is Im not where I wanted to be yet. I wanted to get a set of lockers and 4:56 gears to run 35s or 37s. I had a ton of equity in my trade and dont owe much on the new JK but still have not squeezed the money for the lockers and gears yet. There is always something coming along eating up my Jeep fund.

If you are like me and money is hard to scrape up and I wont use credit card to buy mods it might be better to get the Rubicon with 44 front axle and 4:10 gears, lockers as then you are ahead of the game. I think folks with less money to play with are better off to go this way. If you have plenty of money available to do mods after purchase then why not buy a Sport and build it the way you want. ARB lockers and 4:56 gears and a good lift kit and 35 or 37" tires.
Looking back I regret not getting the Rubicon for a little more money as I would have just lifted it and went right to 35s and had the lockers I need for some of the trails I been doing.

If you shop around and use one of the discounts like tread lightly you should be able to get into a Rubicon for almost what a sport with some options goes for retail which it seems many wind up paying by not doing their homework. My sport S stickered for 29950 and I got it for little under 26k. There was a Gecko Rubicon that was stripped down with no Nav ect I could have got for under 30k. Yep I screwed up.

#36 ·
I have proved every which way on other treads that are the same as this one that their is a $5100 difference between the two WHEN you 100% compare apple to apples. I have done this comparison twice in 3 years and came up with the same numbers......when compared 100%.
If you do not do the 100% comparison yourself then you will truly not see the difference between the two. It is VERY easy to swing the vote one way or another. To each their own. But you should be happy with your choice. You need to do lot's of homework. Now Party On! :dance:

#37 ·
Just Another Opinion

We just recently bought a barely used 2011 JKUR. We don't really plan on doing any serious wheeling but wanted the Rubi anyway. The reason we wanted the Rubi is because I prefer to have "reserve capacity". To illustrate the point, one of the places we enjoy is the hot springs in Saline Valley in Death Valley NP. There's only 4 ways in and out of the valley.Two are over pretty mild mountain passes. The other two are a bit more challenging. If we're there, and there is a washout or snow storm on the passes, We'd need to use one of the two alternatives. There is Steel Pass where the capabilities of the Rubi might come in handy and the infamous Lippincott Rd where the capabilities would come in handy, or even be required depending on current road conditions. It's kinda like carrying a firearm. I may never need it, but it's good to have if I do...

John

#39 ·
If you are going to be on pavement or light trails...save your money and get the Sport S.

Everything beyond that level is up to you. You know the dirt trail leading to your cottage better than us.

#40 ·
Bottom line is the Rubicon is engineered so that all parts work well together and are warrantied. If you build it, you bear the outcome. Individual add-ons may have their own warranty but you can get into finger pointing hell when you mix and match. Your build may be better than a stock Rubicon or it may be worse. Either way, building your own is a gamble and costly. If you have the money, having the security and capacity of the Rubicon is worth it and makes financial sense if there is the slightest possibility you will wheel.

#42 ·
It all comes down to personal preference. I'm going with the JKUR. I have done more and more research on all the options. I have had MORE than enough time researching as I am still waiting for granite crystal.

I originally was thinking of getting a base sport model, with limited slip, 3.73 gears, auto, etc. That came out to $28,190 b4 ttl.

Then I worked up a Rubicon with everything I wanted = $34,900 b4 ttl

That is about a 7K difference between those 2 so then I built another sport as close to the rubicon specs I could to compare apples to apples and that sport was = $30,800.

So if I compare option for option the Rubicon is less than 5K more than a comparable sport.

Yes I could save 7k by buying a basic sport, but the real difference is somewhere around 5,000 when comparing feature for feature.

The rubicon makes the most sense to me as I do not want to swap axles, lockers, or change gears in a brand new vehicle. I also plan on running 37's and the 4.10 gears will be a little better than the 3.73.

But honestly... I just want the sticker on the hood ;)

#43 ·
I won't own anything but a Rubicon, but I do a lot of rock crawling. Doing Dusy Ershim 23 of aug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.