Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best tires for a Rubicon X Unlimited that offers a little more road worthy comfortability vs the knobby off road BF Goodrich it comes packaged with? Michelin perhaps or any recommendations with model/brand would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What would be the best tires for a Rubicon X Unlimited that offers a little more road worthy comfortability vs the knobby off road BF Goodrich it comes packaged with? Michelin perhaps or any recommendations with model/brand would be greatly appreciated.
Just out of curiosity. Why'd you buy the X if you want less aggressive tires than it came with. It's the least road worthy jeep in the whole line up. Very nice jeep, but I'm just wondering what your logic was. Looks?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just out of curiosity. Why'd you buy the X if you want less aggressive tires than it came with. It's the least road worthy jeep in the whole line up. Very nice jeep, but I'm just wondering what your logic was. Looks?
Yes of course we love the look of the rims and bumpers and interior cabin. We do enjoy the off road capability very much but plan to do a lot of on road driving as well as our main vehicle.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I'm not sure you're current tires are all that bad. Do they bother you? I've got the BFG KM2s on my Rubicon. They ride well, don't make much noise (much less than I would have guessed), and looks great. If you're set on getting rid of them, you can't go wrong with Goodyear Duratracs. I'm planning to replace mine with Duratracs this summer (not that I don't like my BFG's, they're just too small ;) ). Lot's of owners swear by the Duratracs, great on and off road, nice ride, quiet.

But I still don't get why you don't like the BFG's.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll trade you the tires off my 2014 JKU sport. They are better street tires for sure, and I'm looking to buy the exact tires you have. They have 900 miles on them. I know it's a long shot, but I think they are what you are looking for. Very good on the road.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll trade you the tires off my 2014 JKU sport. They are better street tires for sure, and I'm looking to buy the exact tires you have. They have 900 miles on them. I know it's a long shot, but I think they are what you are looking for. Very good on the road.
Which ones are they on the Sport and I'm not sure if they fit the Rubicon X rims no? Thanks for the suggestion :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I will post pics and exact specs to this thread in 20 minutes when I head outside to the jeep. I am pretty sure the would fit. I think the ungraded sport S wheels are the same size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want a tire with both off-road as well as on road capabilities. What I would suggest you to look into is a dura tract from good year. I got a dura tract 315/70r/17. You will get the aggressive look of the tire as well as the traction on off-road situations but acts like a street tire on road. Not as loud as your average all terrains either!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want a tire with both off-road as well as on road capabilities. What I would suggest you to look into is a dura tract from good year. I got a dura tract 315/70r/17. You will get the aggressive look of the tire as well as the traction on off-road situations but acts like a street tire on road. Not as loud as your average all terrains either!
What size Duratracs do you recommend to fit the Rubicon rims? Thanks for the suggestion :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are a little dirty right now. Just rained last night.
They look fantastic. Only thing is we're first in the process of buying our new Rubicon X which is why I've been investigating the correct size replacement for more road worthy on road/off road tires. I wish I could do the trade with you, perhaps we'll stay in touch once we get our new purchase delivered :). Thank you for offering the switch! I do like the Duratraks as another strong contender which everyone seems to be recommending. By the way do you have the trak lok differential option on your Sport and how do you like it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
They look fantastic. Only thing is we're first in the process of buying our new Rubicon X which is why I've been investigating the correct size replacement for more road worthy on road/off road tires. I wish I could do the trade with you, perhaps we'll stay in touch once we get our new purchase delivered :). Thank you for offering the switch! I do like the Duratraks as another strong contender which everyone seems to be recommending. By the way do you have the trak lok differential option on your Sport and how do you like it?
The SRA's aren't very good off road. Your best bets are goodyear duratracs or cooper stmaxx.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
So you don't even have the Jeep yet? I'd wait and drive around on the tires for awhile (at the proper air pressure 35-37 psi) and see if you like them. They are road worthy tires. Not sure why you're so sure they aren't.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
My guess is that you test drove a Rubi on the dealers lot then ordered the X. If thats what happened then when you get yours check the tire pressure. Mine was set at 40 PSI. It rode horribly. I dropped them to 32 and it was a world of difference. And Yeah I do drive fast.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Take a serious look at hankook dynapro at. They are a really good at tire with excellent rain and snow capabilities. They look good, wear well and won't break the bank.

·
Registered
92 Posts
he means a 32 inch tire. the psi should be between 30-37

1 - 20 of 24 Posts