Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as time is limited it looks like I will start the search for a Rubicon. Please explain how the lockers actuate and does the differential "totally lock" or does it partially lock with clutches?
Legdoc

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
They are air actuated, by the flip of a switch. Yes, totally locked. Make a list of your desires, and questions, and let us answer them, instead of a seperate thread, for each question. It is like playing 20 questions here.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The rear diff has a clutch type limited slip that is full time, and then it also has a selectable Air-Locker.

The front is air locker only.

Both air lockers are made by an asian company. They run off of seperate air compressors that are stored inside the transfer case skid plate. They run on 5 psi.

When selected "on," they operate similar to an ARB. Air is pumped through a line, enganges the locker (I *ASSUME* clutch packs, dont know though) and the 5PSI holds the system "locked." Once the system engages, both wheels are 100% locked together, full time, untill you turn it off.

The switch itself is a rocker switch. One rock up, rear diff begins engaging. One more rock up, and the front begins. Rock up a third time, to toggle front on or off. Rock down, and you turn both off at once.

Since it runs on 5psi, it is NOT instant when they engage, although its usually pretty quick. There is a light on the dash that blinks while its trying to lock, then goes solid when its fully engaged. Sometimes it will blink for over 45 seconds (both locking and unlocking) which is when I usually back up a tad, and pull forward a tad (just rock the jeep a little) and they lock in. Im not sure if its nessesary, but I am an impatient person. Its also only when stopped.

If you engage the lockers while moving, as in prempting when you need them, then they are pretty close to instantaneous when they engage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts