Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here you go.

Mopar P5155359 (wiring harness and connector for e-locker actuator).
This 2 wire harness comes with the connector installed and enough length for either axle. It also is totally sleeved.
Jeep Wrangler Wiring Connector (Part No: P5155359)

Wells 898 Pigtail Assembly (Sensor/Indicator Pigtail)
This is only a connector kit. You will have to wire it and sleeve it yourself.
They are very pricey for a little piece of plastic. Rock Auto had them the cheapest.

RockAuto
Does the mopar 2 wire harness fit both the locker and indicator? So i would need 4 all together?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Does the mopar 2 wire harness fit both the locker and indicator? So i would need 4 all together?
No, it does not. The Mopar harness only works for the actuator.
The indicator uses the Wells pigtail that I linked to.
No one had the harness in stock when I did my conversion. I built my harness just like the Mopar harness and added 1 more wire to the harness for the +positive for the indicator. The indicator and the actuator share a common ground.

You do not need the indicator to operate the lockers, just wanted you to be aware of that.
This is the connector kit for the indicator:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the info. I know I don't need the indicator but I would like to wire them up similar to thee OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Awesome write up! I'm going to use some of it for my axle swap. Thanks.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
273 Posts
I did mine several months ago followed this write up. I do not have the correct connectors on the axle yet was hoping to find a Rubi in the junk yard so I can cut them off. Vehicle Car Technology Auto part Mid-size car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Soggoth

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok, finally got the wiring finished over the last weekend!

Main features I considered with this project:

• Three separate switches on the left side of the dash ("Front Locker", "Rear Locker" and "Locker Power" master switch). Master switch is optional, I added it as a safety precaution.
  • Switches illumination wired to the dash lights
  • "Locker engaged" indicator light on the switches

Wiring Diagram:

Building wiring harness

Each locker has 4 wires coming in/out of it. Two wires (+12v and ground are going to the locker actuator), two others are for the sensor switch.

The smaller connector (1) is the actual locker, the bigger connector (2) is the sensor switch. Switch is on when locker is engaged. It is optional feature, but I thought it is a good idea to have a positive lock confirmation light.

From the factory all wires are 18ga, I used 16 ga for lockers and 18ga for the sensors and ground

Where to run wires

After some research, I figured that the best way would be to run wires inside the frame. Since I was going to install switches on the left side of the dash, I ran wires inside the left frame rail.

Wires from the rear locker enter the frame from the hole behind the muffler hanger:

...then exit from the hole behind the front upper CA and merge with front locker wires:

...then all wires go under the steering shaft up into the engine compartment and behind the plastic cover:

...through the firewall (there is a rubber covered hole in the firewall):

Switches type

I wanted a clean factory-like look, so I decided to mount switches on the left side of the dash:

I used 3 illuminated Contura XIV switches (Front Locker, Rear Locker and Locker Power) and this switch mounting panel. (links above are actually for the Contura V, not XIV, but they're essentially the same, just a slightly different rocker shape)

Each switch has 5 posts, here is the wiring diagram

Relays

I'm using relays for most of my electrical/lighting projects, but this time I decided to skip them. Each locker draws only ~3.6A, so with good switches like 20A Contura there is no real need for relays.

We are using your write up (so very well done) and I'm curious about the specifics on the Contura XIV switches. The issue we have with the Easton provided switch in this location is that the speaker is in the way, I'm noticing that there are apparently two models of switches with different depths, what did you use>

Thanx

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
We are using your write up (so very well done) and I'm curious about the specifics on the Contura XIV switches. The issue we have with the Easton provided switch in this location is that the speaker is in the way, I'm noticing that there are apparently two models of switches with different depths, what did you use>

Thanx
I used these Contura XIV switches from OTRATTW - The standard in high quality custom rocker switches. and they fit fine. There is enough room to clear the speaker, wires go just above the speaker housing:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts