Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This build is named after my Grandfather who passed a few years ago. A real stellar guy who was just an amazing person.

Here's the story. I had an 02 black TJ that I think is on here somewhere and is my Avatar pic. Well about three years ago I rolled that bitch 6 times down near Mexico and almost died. It was nuts. I only had a stock roll bar and I survived. Luckily I had a ton of my buddies there and they got me out.

Fast forward a six months after that I bought a 77 CJ7. 304AMC with some other goodies. Well the military relocated me to RI from sunny San diego(I'm originally from MA).

Plans for the build
-custom frame
-Dana60
-14Bolt
-Sm465 mated to NP205
-very healthy 350ci SBC
-4link rear
-3link front w/panhard
-16" 2.5 king coilovers all around
-2.0 king bump stops

I'll post where I'm at later today. Standby

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before the test down and the tear down. The entire frame and undercarriage was sold. I only kept the body, fenders, and windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some work on the rear axle. I think I'm going to use a different one though because this 14 bolt has an offset pinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turned down the ring gear, made a slot in the bottom plate to fit the ring gear. Pre heated the cast then welded it all up.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More pics, also welded the tubes while I was at it for good measure. And I picked up a fresh powder coated SM465 and NP205

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frame stuff, made a jig for the rails. Clamped the hell out of everything. Burned it all together

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lower rails are 2x6 .188 wall or 3/16 and the uppers are 2x4 .188 or 3/16. 2x6 is really the was to go when you a building a frame IMHO since it will just make it a hell of a lot easier to get a flat belly without having to replace the entire floor pan because your trans and t case won't hit your body. Or you could use 2x4 and do a body lift or just let your driveline hang down...

Listen there's a bunch of ways to do this and this is the route I took.

I used my old Lincoln tombstone welder to weld the rails. And I used 11080 rod... Ya they use that shit for industrial applications it should hold up nicely. The weld joint it probably strong than the steel now.

And make sure you use the entire rod

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The booty

It was an 1/8" off square. So I made it square.

Look what came in the mail... Sexy

New finger brake from swag

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bent up some tube and started to Fab up some shock hoops. As these updates progress you will notice my father's garage gets more and more messy. And do you see the beer? Always take beer brakes.

Started to mock up the links and the transmission. Your goal should be to make these AS LONG as possible in short. There is a whole lot of math that goes into a link suspension in relation to how it rides and drives.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Starting to Fab up the tranny mount. The yoke on the front output shaft was a close fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here I am with an old Chevy 350 block mocking up the engine.

Then I burned in some mounts from some .120 wall DOM with poly bushings. It should work well enough

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok and you are now all caught up. The Jeep should be done by September 21st or at least running and driving so stay tuned.

There's a bunch of other little stuff I got done but I don't have pictures so I'll post them when I take pictures.

Other than that there is just a ****ing mountain of parts and steel tubing in the garage getting ready to be used.

No more updates until labor day weekend

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok it's mid night and I've been working hard on this thing. Don't have much to say but the front wheels are on and it's almost ready to roll on the front. I have to put the rear axle in and I will be able to roll it around.

The steering gear box mount is a pain and I'm working to have no bump steer. This shit just takes so much time. Maybe I should have bought a JK.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is awesome! Looking forward to see how it turns out! I would love to put my fab skills to the test by doing a project like this but it would be pretty difficult under the carport at my apartments. Maybe some other time. Good luck on the build! That thing will be badass!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is awesome! Looking forward to see how it turns out! I would love to put my fab skills to the test by doing a project like this but it would be pretty difficult under the carport at my apartments. Maybe some other time. Good luck on the build! That thing will be badass!
This thing is so much work. It is crazy how difficult it is to build something like this from scratch. I often go to bed and wake and thinking about the jeep.

I go to pick up the engine this weekend. If you noticed in the pictures my block is just well... A block. I was using it for mock up purposes. It's going to have a hopped up Chevy 350. I'm hoping to get 450ft/lbs at the flywheel and 380hp.

I also started to work on the exhaust. It's going to have short length headers with 1.75 runners i think they were and 2.5" pipes all the way back to glass packs since I'm trying to save a little money. I'll end up changing them out later but this is going to be loud!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another update. The 350 going in the Jeep has been cast aside. I'm stepping up to a 400ci sbc that will be about 406-410 by the time it's done. Should be a fire breathing monster. I can't wait

1 - 20 of 222 Posts