Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Panic buying guns and toilet paper. What a crazy world we live in. Shouldn't people already have their guns and tp?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Panic buying guns and toilet paper. What a crazy world we live in. Shouldn't people already have their guns and tp?
I want to buy some new hardware but I don't really have the need to. You can quote me on this but America will not be going into some psychotic apocalyptic fight for survival anytime soon. Which is good for me because my Jeep won't be up and running for awhile. Maybe I should have just spray painted it camo?

Any-who I just got word im not leaving for another month and a half. I really wanna throw together a new engine for my Chrysler now. But who knows if that will happen with all this Corona stuff going on.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Nice CJ is that a stock 360 Engine? I put a Chevy 350 in my 83'
It used to have a 304 AMC but i did the same as you. Swapped in a .030 overbored 350. So it is a 355 now. My decision to swap chevy parts into it was really about costs in the end. It is just so much cheaper to get Chevy parts. Everyone makes custom flanges, adapters, yokes, for transmissions and transfer cases of chevy parts. Although AMC did use a TH350 behind their 304 and 360 it was just so much easier in the end to make it a chevy.

The engine probably makes in the neighborhood of 390-410hp and 420-430hp

·
Registered
15 Posts
It used to have a 304 AMC but i did the same as you. Swapped in a .030 overbored 350. So it is a 355 now. My decision to swap chevy parts into it was really about costs in the end. It is just so much cheaper to get Chevy parts. Everyone makes custom flanges, adapters, yokes, for transmissions and transfer cases of chevy parts. Although AMC did use a TH350 behind their 304 and 360 it was just so much easier in the end to make it a chevy.

The engine probably makes in the neighborhood of 390-410hp and 420-430hp
Man you are going to be able to do some burnouts with that much HP! Are you going fuel injection or carb?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Man you are going to be able to do some burnouts with that much HP! Are you going fuel injection or carb?
It has the FAST EFI throttle body injection system on it. I probably would have gone carb but a family member has this old system laying around so I got lucky. The EFI will be good in the rocks where I am in weird positions since i wont fun into issues with the float bowls.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It has the FAST EFI throttle body injection system on it. I probably would have gone carb but a family member has this old system laying around so I got lucky. The EFI will be good in the rocks where I am in weird positions since i wont fun into issues with the float bowls.
I gotcha. I pulled mine out of a 86' K5 Blazer that had throttle body fuel injection but i changed it to a quadrajet carb. Runs pretty good but not much rock climbing here in Texas :)

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
What kind of build are you going for?
Good question. Now that I'm knee deep into it, the more I say to myself, "well, I might as well take that apart" and "I might as well replace that too"

So I guess I'm doing a full restore, down to every last nut and bolt. I'm sure when its done it won't be worth the time and money I spend on it, but i'm not doing it to sell it, I hope it stays in my family for generations to come and I'm having fun.

The one thing I'm struggling with though is the engine and trans. My first instinct was to replace with a brand new Chevy V8 and an AX-15 transmission. Then I thought, it would be cheaper to just clean up and update the current engine. More work but probably cheaper.

But in the end, my "Might as well attitude" will probably cause me to just buy the new engine etc. At this point i'm knee deep already lol

I still have a ways to go before I have to make that decision. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy the journey :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good question. Now that I'm knee deep into it, the more I say to myself, "well, I might as well take that apart" and "I might as well replace that too"

So I guess I'm doing a full restore, down to every last nut and bolt. I'm sure when its done it won't be worth the time and money I spend on it, but i'm not doing it to sell it, I hope it stays in my family for generations to come and I'm having fun.

The one thing I'm struggling with though is the engine and trans. My first instinct was to replace with a brand new Chevy V8 and an AX-15 transmission. Then I thought, it would be cheaper to just clean up and update the current engine. More work but probably cheaper.

But in the end, my "Might as well attitude" will probably cause me to just buy the new engine etc. At this point i'm knee deep already lol

I still have a ways to go before I have to make that decision. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy the journey :)
I was going to put a new Chevy 350 bored out in mine but i decided i will run this one till it pukes lol. Its running good right now.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I was going to put a new Chevy 350 bored out in mine but i decided i will run this one till it pukes lol. Its running good right now.
Yeah makes sense. I guess the lazy part of me just wants to do this all at once and then just enjoy it rather than having to deal with engine issues in the future.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
You know the funny thing is that people say they are going to "JUST" swap a 350 in... But it is never that easy. If you have a CJ7 with a TH350 and a 304 you might be able to get away with a quick swap if you run a 350 with a TH350. But other than that you are going to be making a new tranny mount with your new engine mount brackets. Running a different T-case so you will need new driveshafts. But even if you run the same T-case you will have a different transmission so you will still need two new shafts made. Then it snowballs out of control blah blah blah blah.

Looking back, it would have been easier to buy a 360AMC from a wagon. Sent it to the shop, have the block zero decked, bored .030 over, hypereutectic pistons, some aluminum heads installed, aluminum duel plane intake, and thrown in a .650 lift cam with like 106 degrees of lobe separation angle with some roller lifters. Then drive my Jeep after two days of wrenching and blast off to the moon with somewhere in the ballpark of 490 ft/lbs and 520hp......

Would I have done things differently if I could go back in time... Yes...... Can I? Nope

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
You know the funny thing is that people say they are going to "JUST" swap a 350 in... But it is never that easy. If you have a CJ7 with a TH350 and a 304 you might be able to get away with a quick swap if you run a 350 with a TH350. But other than that you are going to be making a new tranny mount with your new engine mount brackets. Running a different T-case so you will need new driveshafts. But even if you run the same T-case you will have a different transmission so you will still need two new shafts made. Then it snowballs out of control blah blah blah blah.

Looking back, it would have been easier to buy a 360AMC from a wagon. Sent it to the shop, have the block zero decked, bored .030 over, hypereutectic pistons, some aluminum heads installed, aluminum duel plane intake, and thrown in a .650 lift cam with like 106 degrees of lobe separation angle with some roller lifters. Then drive my Jeep after two days of wrenching and blast off to the moon with somewhere in the ballpark of 490 ft/lbs and 520hp......

Would I have done things differently if I could go back in time... Yes...... Can I? Nope
C'mon man.... it is always better to use a Chevy motor. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,390 Posts
Wrong type of vehicle. Now, if you had a DeLorean....

Good Luck, L.M.

221 - 238 of 238 Posts