Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
More updates!

I have been cutting and drilling fish plates for a frame the past few days. I had to re fab the read shock hoops, it was a huge PITA but i got it done. I also need to move the front shock hoops back. They are just to far forward and i dont feel like cutting up the grill. So they need to get adjusted.

I will be fabbing up the rear bumper this weekend and doing the body mounts too. Id like to get the front shock hoops moved back 6" but i dont think it will happen this weekend. Check that, it wont get done this weekend.

I ended up purchasing a factory clutch pedal assembly because my gucci wilwood universal pedal wont work. Ill save that for another project.

My goal for the next month is to get all the fab and welding done for everything below the body so i can get it all painted before winter comes. My biggest struggle is the sway bars front and rear. Space is becoming a commodity.

You know what i first started this project i actually though i could finish it in 6 months... lower and lower your expectations until you succeed.

I will add some more pics this weekend for anyone who is following this thread.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm following... I also see it over on Pirate4x4:flipoff:
There aren't as many, how do I say this nicely..."wheelers/builders" here on WF. But they are here, in the crawl space hiding and watching some are building shit too!

Better have some action shots when its under its own power!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm following... I also see it over on Pirate4x4

There aren't as many, how do I say this nicely..."wheelers/builders" here on WF. But they are here, in the crawl space hiding and watching some are building shit too!

Better have some action shots when its under its own power!
Haha! I don't know if anyone here has made it over the the dark side yet. I eventually made the transition over. Which is ok because they are assholes. But the nicest assholes you will ever meet lol.

I just want to keep these forums alive. Since I don't use social media. I don't like the book of faces.

This thing is going to see a lot of skinny pedal.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Killer looking project! Wish I had the time and coin to build another hardcore rig. I'm currently in a bolt on rig but having a blast with it as money and time are tight these days. Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
As requested more pics. I just put the body back on to make the rear bumper. Im probably going to hack the body up so the tailgate actually bolts to the bumper. I want to keep the body as low as possible because at full bump right now I'm at 19.5" I don't want a big body lift.

I want it slammed as low as possible. The panhard bar right now is what is limiting the bump. I would have to notch the frame to get down lower or build a bent panhard.

But then I would have to change the shock mounts. I dunno we will see what I'm gonna do.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here you can see a 3" gap between the body and the frame. Since I don't have a mandrel bender that can bend 2x4 .188 wall I am going to have to cut the frame a bit then weld on some 2x4 on the under side and have the bumper come out under the body

Attachments

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
You are doing nice work. I will follow along. You had mentioned notching the frame for the panhard ... is there a reason you are against that idea? As long as you box it back in around the notch it won't cause much structural compromise. After all you are using .188.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You are doing nice work. I will follow along. You had mentioned notching the frame for the panhard ... is there a reason you are against that idea? As long as you box it back in around the notch it won't cause much structural compromise. After all you are using .188.
Its just a lot of work to notch the frame. Not to sound lazy but this whole thing is... a lot of work. I will probably end up notching the frame and giving myself more up travel and using TMR customs new 1" offset heims to give myself the clearance i need and even more up travel. if you get the chance check them out. They are gucci!

There is so much on the jeep that needs to get done that its actually kind of nice because i can pick and choose what i want to work on when i want to work on it. But most of the time i just sit around and look at it for a few hours and drink beer :drinks:

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I have seen the offset heims. They are a really good idea that I am sure solve some problems for people. I hear you with the amount of work to build one from the ground up. Mine took 4 years, but my kids were little then and life did not allow a ton of shop time. One thing at a time and it will get done.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have seen the offset heims. They are a really good idea that I am sure solve some problems for people. I hear you with the amount of work to build one from the ground up. Mine took 4 years, but my kids were little then and life did not allow a ton of shop time. One thing at a time and it will get done.
Oh man im gonna be in a lot of trouble if mine takes that long haha.

One thing is for sure that i will never under take something like this ever again unless i get divorced. It takes to much time and its a lot to juggle everything. Not to mention i always have to hear how my jeep is never done and the financial burden.

I just try to convince my buddies to bring their jeep around so i can work on them. But then my buddies sold their jeeps so im all alone haha.

I would like a CJ2A or 3A to put around town. maybe in like 5 years

And i cant ever see myself selling this thing once its done unless i receive a stupid amount of money from some rich man.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Oh man im gonna be in a lot of trouble if mine takes that long haha.

One thing is for sure that i will never under take something like this ever again unless i get divorced.
My wife referred to my Jeep as my Whore during my build because I spent more time with it than I did with her. :rant::rant:

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT-4
799 Posts
Ok it's mid night and I've been working hard on this thing. Don't have much to say but the front wheels are on and it's almost ready to roll on the front. I have to put the rear axle in and I will be able to roll it around.

The steering gear box mount is a pain and I'm working to have no bump steer. This shit just takes so much time. Maybe I should have bought a JK.
I disagree.

Reviewing your entire build has me thinking your are a very skilled garage monkey able to calculate the numbers and make metal do cool stuff in its completion.

I’m the guy whom MUST buy the assembly line built stuff.

Be kind to yourself. You got gifts.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT-4
799 Posts
My wife referred to my Jeep as my Whore during my build because I spent more time with it than I did with her. :rant::rant:

Yes sir... Back around 1983 My Cj-5 and my trying to become a three gun wannabe combat shooter came to its sudden ending.

Burning through overtime cash was the norm, I was exactly like a hamster on a wheel inside his cage.

Round and round it would go, where it would stop nobody knows.

Till one day, this now gray bearded ole Hamster fell off his wheel.

Ain’t got back on since.

I (WE) LIVE A BETTER LIFE FOR IT. It’s about discovering balance to our wants versus our perceived needs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So this man (my Grandpa) showed up at my folks place yesterday. It's been 3 years since I've seen him and about 3-4 years before that. He was very impressed with my moon vehicle and it was good to see him again. I haven't been around the past 6 years so seeing him has been very difficult.

Back to the Jeep!

I haven't been able to really get after it lately. I've been going to college and I'm trying hard to get a degree and stay focused on the dumb piece of paper. But I had my uncle mill a 3/4 hole in my pitman arm 6.5" from the mounting hole of the gear box. I also built the rear bumper and started to re mount the body and mount the rear bump stops.

There will not be a rear sway bar right now. I have an idea of how I'm going to do it but it's not in a works right now. I finally figured out how I'm going to mount my front sway bar so the should help control body roll on the street.

Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
UPDATE!

I am moving slow, im currently moving and waiting on parts as they have somehow grown legs and walked off...

I had to cut off the front shock hoops and re do them. They were to far forward and i needed to move them back and angle them out a little to get the coilovers to clean the frame when its flexing.

I mounted the steering gear box, the pan hard is about to go in for the final time. Then the jeep is going to get all its gussets put on the frame, capped, and finish welded and it will be done. Oh and i need to mount the front bump stops and weld on the body mounts.

So after i finish all that i can wire wheel the frame, wipe it down with acetone, prime it, paint it and ill be ready to move forward...

I'll add some more pictures soon. I know thats what matters most in these threads.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT-4
799 Posts
Haha! I don't know if anyone here has made it over the the dark side yet. I eventually made the transition over. Which is ok because they are assholes. But the nicest assholes you will ever meet lol.

I just want to keep these forums alive. Since I don't use social media. I don't like the book of faces.

This thing is going to see a lot of skinny pedal.
I quit “The FACE too”

The reasons—too many to bother listing. Mostly family related I’d guess.

:pcwhack:

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
UPDATE!

I am moving slow, im currently moving and waiting on parts as they have somehow grown legs and walked off...

I had to cut off the front shock hoops and re do them. They were to far forward and i needed to move them back and angle them out a little to get the coilovers to clean the frame when its flexing.

I mounted the steering gear box, the pan hard is about to go in for the final time. Then the jeep is going to get all its gussets put on the frame, capped, and finish welded and it will be done. Oh and i need to mount the front bump stops and weld on the body mounts.

So after i finish all that i can wire wheel the frame, wipe it down with acetone, prime it, paint it and ill be ready to move forward...

I'll add some more pictures soon. I know thats what matters most in these threads.
You are correct.... we do like pictures. Glad to hear you are getting things done. I have finally started making progress on mine again too.

21 - 40 of 238 Posts