Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So this happened yesterday. Looking to have the front end on here real soon.

But I decided to take another step backwards. I wasn't happy with how high my Jeep was sitting. Honestly it was about 2 inches to high at full bump. I don't want this thing to be some big badass Jeep. I want it to sit relatively low with 6 inches of uptravel. I am hoping it will sit about as high as a JK with a 2 inch lift at ride height.

I also built myself a beefy 1.5" quarter wall tie rod. This one shouldn't bend ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Got more done on the Jeep this weekend. the coilovers fit perfectly, the panhard bar is burned in, the steering gear box is fully mounted and burned in. The steering works throughout the full cycle of suspension. It appears I have 0 bump steer when cycling the suspension.

I also got my removable support for the shock hoops in too.

My drag link is a 1/2" longer than my panhard and sits at slightly a different angle but it doesn't appear to effect the steering as the tires don't change direction throughout the suspension travel.

Now I need to mount my front bump stops then I can tackle the rear suspension... Again.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice build so far! Very impressed by your fab skills.

Will be following this one for sure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nice build so far! Very impressed by your fab skills.

Will be following this one for sure.
Thank you very much. This build has been way more difficult than I originally thought. To be honest I knew it would be a big under taking but it is just so much more work than I imagined.

I wouldn't have run into nearly as many problems as I am running into now if I didnt use 16" coilovers and using a mechanical linkage for steering. My goal is to keep this as low as possible. I never wanted this thing to sit as high as i could. I wanted this bitch to sit as low as possible and I needed it to sit low in order for the mechanical steering to work because of the high amount of mis alignment needed because of all the suspension travel.

Update:

I did finally figure out how to mount my front bumpstops. It was one of the hardest things I have had to do on this Jeep. I mounted my front shock hoops like 3 or 4 times. This was because it was hard to know how they could fit without actually putting it together and seeing since I dont do CAD.

I went through about 5 different designs until I finally figured out how to mount them. I only got one bump pad made this weekend before I had to pack it up and go back home but i'll be working on the jeep again friday and saturday so ill add more pictures so you can all see the progress.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Thank you very much. This build has been way more difficult than I originally thought. To be honest I knew it would be a big under taking but it is just so much more work than I imagined.

I wouldn't have run into nearly as many problems as I am running into now if I didnt use 16" coilovers and using a mechanical linkage for steering. My goal is to keep this as low as possible. I never wanted this thing to sit as high as i could. I wanted this bitch to sit as low as possible and I needed it to sit low in order for the mechanical steering to work because of the high amount of mis alignment needed because of all the suspension travel.

Update:

I did finally figure out how to mount my front bumpstops. It was one of the hardest things I have had to do on this Jeep. I mounted my front shock hoops like 3 or 4 times. This was because it was hard to know how they could fit without actually putting it together and seeing since I dont do CAD.

I went through about 5 different designs until I finally figured out how to mount them. I only got one bump pad made this weekend before I had to pack it up and go back home but i'll be working on the jeep again friday and saturday so ill add more pictures so you can all see the progress.
It sure does take a ton of work to figure all these things out, but I assure you it will be worth it in the end. I had the third highest RTI score at an event with 3,000 Jeeps and knowing that my suspension was designed and built by me was a pretty good feeling. Most of the other guys had off the shelf stuff.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
It sure does take a ton of work to figure all these things out, but I assure you it will be worth it in the end. I had the third highest RTI score at an event with 3,000 Jeeps and knowing that my suspension was designed and built by me was a pretty good feeling. Most of the other guys had off the shelf stuff.
OK so you probably know how i have been feeling. You think you have something figured out, only to have to change it. I have spent the better part of the past six months just staring at my front suspension trying to figure out how everything is going to work. Tack it on, cycle suspension, grind off tack, start over. This is honestly the most difficult part of this build. I think i would rather do wiring instead of this. But im almost done.

I can't wait till i get the suspension finished and i can finish weld everything. I am probably 3 weekends away from painting the frame. And I am going home for 2 weeks next month to work on the Jeep to try to get it running. So stay tuned for that. It may be running the first week of May.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I picked this up the other day for $150. Just needs a little tlc and a passenger side glass. The new piece of glass is going to cost me about what I paid for the entire top. I'm pretty happy I found an old CJ hard top though. It will be nice in New England.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
More work on the front end. This is taking me forever. I welded the cans to hot and the inside warped. I spent the next 3 hours trying to bumpstop back in. It wasn't fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
It's the weekend and you know what that means, updates!

I have some good news for you early CJ fans. I have taken on a project for a local guy who is looking for a little help with his project. It's a CJ3A and I'm going to be working on the body. the first thing I'm going to tackle is the fenders and the grill. Pics attached.

The grill is in great shape aside for a few dents. The fenders however need some real love. They are dented, the metal is cracked, and one fender has its mounting points broken off. My plan is to glass bead the parts, pull the dents out as best I can, grind out and weld the cracks and breaks in the metal.

After these body parts gets finished and if both parties are satisfied with the work and payment I will move onto the windshield and tailgate then later the body. All the body parts are from Nebraska and are in IMPECCABLE shape for their age.

These parts won't get touched for another month so stand by for updates. I am also going to take on another job at some point doing a frame swap for a CJ7. So stand by for that as well. Unfortunately I am not made of money and need some extra cash to pay for my own project.

I took most of the day today cleaning the garage and man was it worth it. I've been working so hard getting the suspension dialed in I've put cleaning on the back burner. Then I got started on the steering.

I have to make a custom steering shaft for this Jeep. Because of the placement of the shock towers I need to make a two piece shaft. In order to do that I need an extra u joint and a bearing on the shaft. Unfortunately I don't have the right parts so I'm waiting on summit to deliver them. But I added some pics do you guys could get an idea of what I'm going to do.

Enjoy. I'll try to get more done next week but I am taking it easy this weekend and getting caught up on my school work.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Good deal on the other projects. I would like to opportunity at some point to take on projects for other people as well. Maybe if I ever finish my own I could.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Good for you Tyler, very ambitious, thx for sharing pix
I'll keep it up

Good deal on the other projects. I would like to opportunity at some point to take on projects for other people as well. Maybe if I ever finish my own I could.
I these other two project for a few reasons.

1. I need some more money in my pocket so I can help fund my build. The last major expense is going to be the custom 1410 driveshafts I need and they are going to run me about $1,500.00 and I have bills to pay for.

2. The frame swap with as much work as it is "SHOULD" be fairly straight forward. I am not doing anything custom on it. My agreement is basically to get everything swapped over and weld on or bolt on some new front shock mounts. I don't expect it taking over two days. I don't want it taking over two days.

3. The restoration job doesn't have a timeline so I can work on it at my leisure and the guy is local so I don't have to drive very far.

4. The deeper I get into project the more experienced of a fabricator I become. I don't ever want to own my own car shop. Thats not my intention here. But I LOVE cars and would like to continue to do restoration and custom work on the side. Taking on jobs here and there will make me a better fabricator so I can take on more complicated jobs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So this just happened today. Gonna drive this all summer and then turn it into a cafe racer next winter I think. But it just got a tune up and purs like a kitten.

I picked it up from an older guy who was selling it for a buddy. Another motor head like myself who was working on projects. We talked about guns and cars before settling on a price. I'm very happy with what I paid for it and the thing is in great condition. A great first bike for me to ride. I've always ridden on dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So big things have been happening these past two weeks. I know some of you have been waiting for updates.

The Jeeps frame and suspension is currently awaiting paint once I finish up some final little things on the frame.

My uncle gave me a call to tell me he painted my Chevy engine AMC blue so that is exciting.

I did a frame swap in three days for a member on the forum here and that was a ton of work!

But here is how the Jeep looks right now followed by a pic of the frame swap project.

Unfortunately I didn't hit my goal of having it running by mid May but lower your expectations till you achieve. I swear my next post will be better. I have just been swamped with so much work between work, projects, and college finals.

Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Here is a picture of the frame before paint. A few more gussets need to be added and I will chop a 45 degree angle into the bumper but this is it.

Im busy this weekend and flying down to Florida next weekend for a little Vaca with the girl so hopefully when I get back I'll be able to paint it.

I swear I work to slow.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 238 Posts