Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I re mounted the bump stops and mouted the limiting straps mounts today!

Cycled the rear suspension to make sure everything cleared and I'm good to go.

Going to finished welding everything on this for the rest of today and I may paint it tomorrow.

Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
If I get this painted tomorrow I can get the engine and trans in next weekend if the engine is ready. Then I'll put the body on for real and start wiring.

Unfortunately I still don't have enough money for drive shafts so I'll need to wait to order those from Tom woods. But this project is moving.

I can't wait to bolt the body down for good.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I'm only painting the frame today.

About half way through I realized that this thing ain't no show Jeep. So I just powered through it not really worrying about it being perfect, besides i was rattle canning it. I need to hit a few spots with black paint since I ran out but this thing is ready for the engine and trans.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
No much going on here without the engine in the car. I had to shorten the transmission support because I didn't put the sleeves in the bushings during mock up. I also had to bend up new sway bar arms because they didn't clear the frame unfortunately. But I got those problems fixed.

Now check out these exhaust pipes. I am going to run an 18 inch glass pack on each pipe and make it an H pipe system if I feel like it. There will be no cats and this thing is going to be loud!!! I may add some resonators to it and maybe switch up to a more traditional style muffler but the problem here is once again room.

If you look at the exhaust pipes where they are they are going to be very close to the body close to where the transmission is. I would actually like to get this Jeep to have a very nice muscle car sound to it while staying away from the traditional 18 yr old douchey loud exhaust that everyone except for the owner hates. We will see how it all goes together once i get the body on and can see what my clearances are. But one thing is for sure my straight pipe exhaust it going to be pretty damn straight.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I have about 3' of pipe off of each manifold right now with no mufflers. It actually sounds really good... at idle. It gets obnoxious very quickly with throttle input. Mine is also very close to the floor where I need to go over the upper link mounts. I will probably need to wrap it at that point because there is no room for a heat shield. I have a pair of flowmasters that will go where the gas tank once was. It will sound much better then.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So my father went over to the family friends auto body shop to get some stuff painted for his motorcycle. It is owned by my cousin's cousin's father (no relation to me). He does all sorts of body work for my mothers side of the family.

Anyway my dad told him about my project and how i was going to make a paint tent in the front yard to paint the body with spray paint. Well he offered to let me use his shop during a weekend to paint my car when I was ready. So I called him up after I got the news and we discussed the details. I told him I wanted to paint my Jeep a metallic silver and that the paint he uses costs $800 a gallon but he would put some aside for me when he does jobs and I can use that and pay him for what ever else I use. I would also throw him some money on top of that.

I wont be able to prime the jeep at his shop so im going to have to do all my body filler and primer work at my house. But ill have access to a booth and professional equipment and 2K paint for the color and clear. I wasn't planning on this jeep looking show quality since im going to thrash on at the trails but I guess the jeep will look good for a month or two.

I am stoked, at the very least this jeep is going to look good.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Working on the body this weekend. I'll probably be doing body work for the next month or so. Getting my lines good is going to take some time. I know this is going to be an off-road vehicle but I still want it to look half decent. And it doesn't really cost me anything but my time to get everything right.

The aircraft stripper I'm using is volitile as all hell. Apparently it's been in the news and is supposed to be pulled out of stores soon. It causes cancer like lung and brain and the toxic fumes can kill you. But it works good. If you are using this shit make sure you are outside or have some pretty damn good ventilation and wear a respirator.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
It might be nasty stuff, but it appears to do a good job.
Its very caustic. I got it on my skin and it INSTANTLY burned... BAD! It has a PH balance of 13 or 14. But let me tell you it does a great job as long as its not very humid outside. The second day I did it I was inside my garage with the doors open and it was raining outside. The moisture in the air seemed to affect the chemicals. It wasn't working as well and the only conclusion I could come up with as to why was that since water neutralizes the Methyl Chloride and other chemicals, the moisture in the air reduced its ability to effectively eat the paint.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I just found your build and all I can say is WOW! Can't even imagine starting from scratch and your rig already looks amazing.

I get all proud of myself for doing all of my mods and maintenance, but your are doing true fab work.

Well done and I look forward to following the build.

Oh Yeah - and like you said before; don't ever sell that thing - it is your creation.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I just found your build and all I can say is WOW! Can't even imagine starting from scratch and your rig already looks amazing.

I get all proud of myself for doing all of my mods and maintenance, but your are doing true fab work.

Well done and I look forward to following the build.

Oh Yeah - and like you said before; don't ever sell that thing - it is your creation.
Thank you for the kind words. Its been a lot of work but I hope to have to have it driving soon. I just have to keep reaching deeper into my pockets to find more $$$.

And as for selling it, if my wife ever told me it was her or the Jeep... Well ill just let you imagine what i'd do.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Had an opportunity to work on the Jeep this weekend so I took it. Trying my best to get this thing ready for paint. The entire body was covered with Bondo and for good reason. This thing is dented everywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Did you do anything to strengthen the sheet metal where you cut it? I have seen guys weld round bar to it to make a smoother edge as well as add strength. It would be tough to smooth out panels that move while you sand them.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Did you do anything to strengthen the sheet metal where you cut it? I have seen guys weld round bar to it to make a smoother edge as well as add strength. It would be tough to smooth out panels that move while you sand them.
I used a electric DA sander so it was pretty effortless to get the Bondo taken down and get it smooth. I did a little blocking by hand and didn't notice the panels moving much at all.

Most of the body is going to be covered in 3/16" or 1/4" steel armor so I am kind of wasting my time doing this. But I want to learn how to do body work so I'm taking this step as a learning opportunity.

I spent like $135 on an electronic portacable brand 6" DA sander at homedepot and it was worth it. Slap me 80 grit paper on it and it goes to work and will NOT gouge the metal or leave swirls. Really happy with that purchase.

61 - 80 of 238 Posts