Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time installing one, so please excuse my trivial / possibly common sense questions.

1. Instructions say to use red threadlock when mounting the hinge body to the gate. Is this absolutely necessary? I ask for two reasons 1. If I screw up mounting and the gate doesn't close correctly, won't it be very difficult to get those bolts back out? 2. I plan to get a different spare mount (probably the Rugged Ridge one) soon, will locking these in place prevent me from doing that? I assume the spare carrier bolts onto a finished assembly so these red lockthread bolts won't need to come out? Wanted to verify.

2. Instructions call for a torque wrench (which I don't currently have but will purchase if needed). It says to mount the spare at 80lbs. When putting wheels on a car I have always known to get as tight as possible in a staggered pattern. Do I add any risk by doing the same with the spare or should I get them to just 80 lbs?

TIA

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
1. I always do a rough fit of anything I am mounting... which means putting it together, but not at full torque and ensuring fitment and alignment are where they should be. After that, one bolt at a time I take it apart and add locktite where needed.

2. I would not use locktite and 80lbs on the carrier bolts, yet. Be sure to check them often (weekly) and when you have your final decision (meaning it will be on for 90 days or more) then use the recommended loctite and torque.

3. Trust me, if you are doing your own work on a vehicle that will be used for performance like offroading (my background is landspeed racing), then you need to buy a torque wrench. THey are not expensive and simply add a peace of mind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. I always do a rough fit of anything I am mounting... which means putting it together, but not at full torque and ensuring fitment and alignment are where they should be. After that, one bolt at a time I take it apart and add locktite where needed.
Boy do I feel dumb now. Great advice, I will be going this route. :)

Also, no call for threadlock on the lugs, sorry for the confusion. I just wasn't sure if going as tight as I could get it would cause problems. I am hitting the hardware store in a bit, will just pick up a torque wrench.

Thanks for the info :drinks:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts