·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was not a hard job to install. It took about 1 hour total. Only about 5 minunites to remove the grill.

This product is very strudy and preformed to fit, not just a flat peice of metel. I also had to prebend the mesh, by pushing down flat onto a table. Then it laided into the grill slots better. The brackets took a small adjustement at the top end, after being fastened at the bottom first. I ended up installing the 2 nuts facing up, on the top side of the grill. This way i did'nt have to cut any of the trim plastic under the top edge of the grill for it to seat properly. Very small screws and nuts looks fine.

Overall it's a heavy gage steel product worth the money, $47.85 delivered to the door. It should last along time and looks great.

Next mod is this trailer hitch. It is coated in a bedliner coating, and is very heavy duty.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

·
Registered
137 Posts
What's the functional use of mesh? Protects the radiator?

I was thinking bugs are going to get into the rad on road trips probably.

·
Registered
517 Posts
johnnykuta said:

Could at least slow a well placed stone in flight.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts

All kinds of stuff gets in there.
I thought it was cosmetic until I saw the dings in my rad fins, now I'm setting up to get the Metalcrafters model.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This mesh is heavy duty coated steel. It will stop rocks and large bugs. Not to metion that it looks great.
The plastic inserts that you mount with wire ties and glue look fine, but will not holdup as long as this one. That why i wanted a 1 peice mesh.
My $.02

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Looks good! Mine (shown in the thread linked above) looks as good as it did when I put it on a few weeks ago. Still sturdy and no complaints thus far. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
All kinds of stuff gets in there.
I thought it was cosmetic until I saw the dings in my rad fins, now I'm setting up to get the Metalcrafters model.
The Metalcrafters is a bit expensive but it's the best one out there. The ss powder coated will not rust as the other steel ones will. I have it on 2 yrs now and it still looks new. I know the arguments about buying 3 or 4 of the other ones but I only wanted to remove the grill once and I don't want to paint it down the road.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
The Metalcrafters is a bit expensive but it's the best one out there. The ss powder coated will not rust as the other steel ones will. I have it on 2 yrs now and it still looks new. I know the arguments about buying 3 or 4 of the other ones but I only wanted to remove the grill once and I don't want to paint it down the road.
I appreciate the feedback. I'm also looking long-term at the mods I install.

·
Registered
290 Posts
hey guys... i got all the things to do this project this coming weeken.. but i was wondering if i can get the exact size for the grill mesh... for those who did this MOD... do you remember what's the size for the seven mesh inserts..?? can somebody post the size of the mesh inserts..?? so i can cut my gutter mesh..

thanks in advance...!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just installed the RR grill mesh and totally agree with the OP that this is easy and very sturdy. No worry of this coming apart or loose and it looks great too! I added 4 tiewraps tho I dont think they are needed. May sound pricey at $50 for what you get, but well worth it IMO. Its a gloss black, but very easy to remove and paint matte if desired later on.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just installed the RR grill mesh and totally agree with the OP that this is easy and very sturdy. No worry of this coming apart or loose and it looks great too! I added 4 tiewraps tho I dont think they are needed. May sound pricey at $50 for what you get, but well worth it IMO. Its a gloss black, but very easy to remove and paint matte if desired later on.
i am really leaning towards this one. i like the look. so, install was not bad? i have read that the brackets needed some adjustment for the grille to fit back on? on vacation next week, so looking for a easy install. looks like you had zero issues.

its between this one OR the DRAKE inserts.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/13131_310X_PG.htm

i cant make a choice!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Grill Mesh Project by Juancho <<Part 1>>

Well, i finally completed my Grill Mesh project today <<Saturday March 3rd, 2012>> and i would like to thanks all of you for the amazing pointers... however, i tried to put my own touch to make it more easy...

Anyway, i would like to share my experience with all uf you guys and try to help others to complete this unbelievable project...!!!!

Here is a HOW TO: tutorial, like i said... i hope you like it and help others WranglerForum.com members..!!!!

I started this project by visiting LOWES store here in Toronto to get all the material

Here is the receipt showing how much i paid for all the material i needed to complete this project

What you need to complete this project

You won't need these ties... i just bought the case because it was ON SALE...

Anyway, after got all i need for this project... i started to cut the Gutter Guard in my room

The BEFORE picture:

We need to remove the grill... step 1.- remove 6 push down plastic rivets

Here are the "devils" after removed them from the top of the grill

·
Registered
290 Posts
Grill Mesh Project by Juancho <<Part 2>>

Step 2.- Remove the turn signal connectors from both sides

Step 3.- Very... but Very gentle pull out the bottom part of the grill to get the clams loose..

What clams..?? well... these ones... VVV

But, don't be pussy... pull it as i described it... you won't break it... but heeeeeyyy..!!! do it gently..!!! anyway... Grill is finally OFF..!!!

Now... let's clean the grill inside the garage...

A little test...

After clean the grill both sides... <<specially the back area>> let's take the ties mounting bases

We going to start to place the mounting bases all over the place

I had to cut the ones in the middle because doesn't fit properly...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Grill Mesh Project by Juancho <<Part 3>>

Now... we going to put some additional glue to the mounting bases just to make them more strong and don't fall from the grill in extreme weather condition like rain, snow, heat..??

And here is how we gonna do it...

Now... the ties...

Don't forget to cut the end of the ties...

And repeat the process 6 more times...

Here is how the back grill look after do the above process...

Now... back to the driveway to put the grill back... remember, you have to start by matching the clams with the holes...

Let's start pushing... a little here...

And a little there...

Let put back in place the 6 plastic rivets

Connect both turn signals...

And finally... this is how my grill look NOW..!!!!
The AFTER picture:

Happy ever after.... my sister Liberty... follow by my Jeep Wrangler... and at the back.. my brother Snow Removal Wrangler using our neighbour driveway...

All the pics came from my HD GoPro 960 using the head strap.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts