Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does anybody else find the JK rugged ridge hitch a piece of garbage?

Powdercoat is soft, weld are ugly, and the fit is sloppy. There is almost a 1/2 inch gap before the bolts are tightened.

Was thinking of cutting my losses and buying a us made Curt. Does anybody here use one and if so what do they do to hide your wiring since there is no clip?

I also realized that both the RR and even the mopar hitch are only class II hitches whereas the Curt is a III.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This will be the one I will get when I can.

Quadratec Premium 2" Receiver Hitch with Wiring Kit & Jeep® Logo Plug

For 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK

Quadratec Part No: 12015.1009

Was: $99.97
Now: $79.97

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just installed the RR 2" receiver hitch. I agree, the fitment was very loose on the frame. The bolts had to pull the hitch quite a bit to fully tighten. But, I like the small footprint and it is rated just fine for the towing capactity of my JK. I wont be towing anything requiring a class three anyway.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I also realized that both the RR and even the mopar hitch are only class II hitches whereas the Curt is a III.
I'm curious as to how Curt comes up with their rating. Their product seems to be the same as the others and it bolts to the cross member with the same 4 bolts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious as to how Curt comes up with their rating. Their product seems to be the same as the others and it bolts to the cross member with the same 4 bolts.
Goof question. This is form the Mopar hitch specs:

Production 3,500-lb tow rating, 350 lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment trailer hitch with 2 opening; otherwise 2000-lb tow rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating.

So pretty much it is rated at 2000 lbs without weight distribution.

From the Curt:

GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT CARRYING HITCH: 3500 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT.
GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH: 4000 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT

3500 lbs as a weight carrying hitch and 4000 lbs with weight distribution. Much better specs. Also made in USA. Better Steel, better welds? Not sure.

I am in Canada but like to but North American made when possible. To bad Jeep puts a Chinese hitch on from the factory.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm with d fela, I bought the Quadratec combo. I don't know who makes it for them but the fit was tight and the welds were smooth and clean with no gaps and they have the nuts welded to the receiver which makes it easy to install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just started to install a hitch rec (OEDRO, maybe my first mistake?) and its a really loose fit, like a quarter inch. Am I going to be able to tight the bolts to the point so that much space between the crossmember and the hitch won't matter? It seems like it would be really tough to squish the thing, it's solid. And I am not a beast...

I just need something for bikes and paddleboards, maybe occasional light trailer hauling (a little teardrop camper). And, I would like to be able to install myself without taking the the bumper off.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,009 Posts
I just started to install a hitch rec (OEDRO, maybe my first mistake?) and its a really loose fit, like a quarter inch. Am I going to be able to tight the bolts to the point so that much space between the crossmember and the hitch won't matter? It seems like it would be really tough to squish the thing, it's solid. And I am not a beast...

I just need something for bikes and paddleboards, maybe occasional light trailer hauling (a little teardrop camper). And, I would like to be able to install myself without taking the the bumper off.
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Am I going to be able to tight the bolts to the point so that much space between the crossmember and the hitch won't matter?
It's an ez install. No need to remove the bumper or muffler. Just tighten the bolts evenly. If the gap is an issue perhaps a washer won't hurt based on your light-duty plans for the hitch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts