Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just got my np231J transfer case disassembled so I can put in my rugged ridge mega short sye, unfortunately I destroyed the snap rings that you have to open when I was getting the rear output shaft out and the sye kit didn't come with replacements. Does anyone know the specs of the snap rings so I can get some new ones? Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Your kit should have came with them. You are not suppose to reuse the old ones. Call up the company you order the kit from and tell them they need to send them to you. I'm not sure on the exact specs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yea call them. I don't believe you can just run down to autobone and pick these lock rings up. I destroyed one of mine trying to get it off. They are a pain and need special lock ring pliers to remove them properly. I tried to use snap ring pliers with no luck. I hope they get them to you soon. I hate when stuff like this slows down your progress.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh I there's where I ran into this whole ordeal, I used snap ring pliers and a hook and pick set to try and ease the rings of the output shaft but they just bent out of the groove in the shaft so I went ahead and just removed them. If I use some calipers do you think it'd be possible to get some auto part store snap rings based on the diameter of the grooves in the output shaft?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Alex, take your TC over to the hobby shop on base, find Rich and ask him for help. You want lock ring pliers not snap ring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts