Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a sick buddy offering me a deal on his new (barely used 3 times just for see if it did work) Rugged Ridge 10,500# with synthetic line for a price that would help both of us.

I had about decided to go for the Warn Zeon set up with my new Warn Elite bumper.....but this deal just came up today.

I'm unfamiliar with Rugged Ridge reliability, etc. and haven't read much about it yet.

User comments appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge 8500 and I like it a lot. It's reliable and durable under normal use. I haven't tried pushing the limits on it yet, so I can't say with any certainty that it's the best winch out there.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Rugged Ridge 8500 and I like it a lot. It's reliable and durable under normal use. I haven't tried pushing the limits on it yet, so I can't say with any certainty that it's the best winch out there.
given the pulls you've made with it, are there any indications of any real issues that would have made you choose something else in the same price range, let alone the considerable higher cost Warn marque?

Thanks for your comments!

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Not too many people run RR winches. Most inexpensive winches used are Smittybilt and Engo. I am not familiar with it but if it is a smoking deal and he needs the money, do it.

-Dan

·
Registered
93 Posts
I haven't pulled anything that made me want something more expensive or bigger. I've only pulled myself and one other jeep. Oh yeah, I pulled some punks car out of my front yard. Neighbors had a party and one of their guests parked in my front lawn. Anyway, I bought what I could afford and it works for me. It was the best winch in my price range based on customer reviews. Someday, I might upgrade to a Warn, but I don't "need" it right now.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for your comments. " one of their guests parked in my front lawn. " sounds like an interesting story....

In the various search.web I've done, there was one seemingly knowledgeable post that insisted RR was the very same as Smittybilt, same China plant with different name plate....but I have no way to verify.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had a buddy who messed up his front axle on the first obstacle of a 7 mile long trail an had to winch himself the whole trail with this winch. I also bought one from another buddy who was upgrading haven't got it installed yet but I believe it'll be worth the price I paid anyway

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have got at least a dozen HARD pulls on my RR 8500 and it's still going BUT it is dirty. it's been under water and under mud and still pulls strong.

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
I had a buddy who messed up his front axle on the first obstacle of a 7 mile long trail an had to winch himself the whole trail with this winch. I also bought one from another buddy who was upgrading haven't got it installed yet but I believe it'll be worth the price I paid anyway
winched for 7 miles? that is incredible must have taken a heck of a long time to finish at 8 or 9 feet a minute something like 3 full days.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
winched for 7 miles? that is incredible must have taken a heck of a long time to finish at 8 or 9 feet a minute something like 3 full days.
It was a long time lol I believe he just hooked to another jeep that pulled him for the easy parts but most of the trail is pretty rough so I know for sure he did use it quite a bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts