Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be late to the party but I heard that in the next few years Jeep is coming out w an automatic rag top? Like one that opens and closes w the push of a button! Is his true?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I may be late to the party but I heard that in the next few years Jeep is coming out w an automatic rag top? Like one that opens and closes w the push of a button! Is his true?
There's already a company that makes one, think it's like $6k. I doubt it will come factory like that anytime in the near future.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It's been mentioned before. It's not that unlikely give the growth of JK sales and sales price. It would fit perfectly as on option on high end Sahara.

I'd rather see an automatic hard top. :)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
It's been mentioned before. It's not that unlikely give the growth of JK sales and sales price. It would fit perfectly as on option on high end Sahara. I'd rather see an automatic hard top. :)
This! Auto hard top would be very nice!!

Maybe in 18' with the new model, but god only knows what cost it would come at - it would be a nice option though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Rugged Ridge has had an electric top for a few years. It is around $5k. Despite being friends with several of the guys there, I'm not a fan of that top.

Now, what would be smarter for Jeep to come out with would be a hard top that is modular and you could leave on the top, but remove the side and rear windows... Aside from making it so that you could store portions of the top in the vehicle and have an open air experience, it would also be easier to remove if it were several lighter pieces.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Rugged Ridge has had an electric top for a few years. It is around $5k. Despite being friends with several of the guys there, I'm not a fan of that top.

Now, what would be smarter for Jeep to come out with would be a hard top that is modular and you could leave on the top, but remove the side and rear windows... Aside from making it so that you could store portions of the top in the vehicle and have an open air experience, it would also be easier to remove if it were several lighter pieces.
Having just remove 2 tops over the weekend it would be nice to have a more modular hard top and mine is a 2 door with freedom panels JK my brother 2 door 89 his smaller but more awkward and heavier and 3 inches narrower
But nonetheless I'm happy owing a Jeep :iamhappy:

·
Registered
614 Posts
It would be a great option to add. It would attract so many $50k SUV buyers. Who doesn't want a convertible SUV without the hassle of a manual top?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would think that Jeep would come out with a permanently affixed hardtop option for the growing overlong segment. The top could then be used to store gear on top w/o the overly cumbersome rack that mounts to the bumper and could provide for a more plush interior at a lower cost. It's really not any more revolutionary than a Jeep with 4 doors.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I would think that Jeep would come out with a permanently affixed hardtop option for the growing overlong segment. The top could then be used to store gear on top w/o the overly cumbersome rack that mounts to the bumper and could provide for a more plush interior at a lower cost. It's really not any more revolutionary than a Jeep with 4 doors.
That segment is probably relatively small in terms of Jeeps target market but it might happen for safety or manufacturing reasons.

IMO, in spite of sometimes being part of the overland community, getting rid of the removable top is akin to getting rid of half of the enjoyment of a Jeep. I'd rather have an equipment vehicle in the group.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That segment is probably relatively small in terms of Jeeps target market but it might happen for safety or manufacturing reasons. IMO, in spite of sometimes being part of the overland community, getting rid of the removable top is akin to getting rid of half of the enjoyment of a Jeep. I'd rather have an equipment vehicle in the group.
I agree about the convertible aspect, but there seems to be an open niche in the overland market for a solid front axle vehicle with additional storage capacity. Jeep would seem to be in an ideal position to fill that niche with a vehicle based on the Wrangler platform. Perhaps a limited edition model to gauge market enthusiasm.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Jeep has thrown out the idea of an automatic hardtop at a couple of Jeep clinics for ideas for 2017 and beyond. The response at these clinics has been overwhelmingly negative to the idea.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Has anyone seen a jeeper with the automatic convertible top? I think it's a great idea but did it sell well at $5k-$6k? To those who have it, was it worth it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts