Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 TJ 2.5L. My issue, sounds strange and unlike some similar posts. Jeep starts fine, hot or cold, runs fine for anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes. Doesnt matter which gear, highway or city, flat or hills. Then suddenly starts sputtering and coughing bad like a 50 year smoker. All I have to do is turn off the ignition and restart after a few seconds, and all is well for a little while longer. I don't even have to pull over. I'm swapping all the ignition/tune up parts first before I attack the sensors. But it baffles me what is reset by doing the turn off/on. BTW: No check engine light or engine codes. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
Welcome to the Forum rcmerlin2,

BRAKEBABY might be on to something. Have you changed your fuel filter?
Another good thing to do is add 1 oz. of Seafoam to your gas tank for each gallon of gas in there. Your gas tank is probably a 20 gallon tank, so 16 oz. for a 3/4 tank.
Another thing might be a failing fuel pump.

I have a carbureted Yj so you'll probably get more and better suggestions from TJ owners.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. My first thought was fuel filter. But other posts indicated that since the fuel filter was large and in the tank, it was unlikely. Am I mistaken?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts