Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do incremental updates to the jeep, like most of us here.

Right now I have NO lift and the JKU still has stock wheels and tires.
I have enough to add a 2.5" JKS lift, 5 new rims with proper backspacing and 35" tires. (BFG KO2 AT's).

How much am I going to hate my life with a 3.73 tow package and 35"s?
The jeep itself its without a winch, and I have tried to make my bumper selections as light as possible (LOD front bumper, aluminum rear bumper).

I live in a very flat NJ. For now I'm asking from a pure DD perspective. I fully understand the limitations of 35" and 3.73 in offloading.

*** I have aftermarket flat fenders, so technically I could run 35's without a lift, but that's just stupid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got 35's and 3.73 gears. It's not a dog. It'll get up and go when I need it to, but I baby it most of the time anyway. I wheel it pretty hard atleast once a month, haven't had any issues yet. 4.88's are in its future, just haven't decided if that's before or after a new front axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
i'm in the same boat as Chris36l: 35's and 3.73. its fine for driving around town and some mild wheeling. With mine being a manual, I get a little deeper first gear than an auto but it still leaves me wishing I had more torque off the line, especially off road.

next question is ultimate 44 front with 4.88 or just do the gears and wait until the dana 30 breaks.

·
Super Moderator
15,365 Posts

I have enough to add a 2.5" JKS lift, 5 new rims with proper backspacing and 35" tires. (BFG KO2 AT's).

The jeep itself its without a winch, and I have tried to make my bumper selections as light as possible (LOD front bumper, aluminum rear bumper).

I live in a very flat NJ. For now I'm asking from a pure DD perspective. I fully understand the limitations of 35" and 3.73 in offloading.

*** I have aftermarket flat fenders, so technically I could run 35's without a lift, but that's just stupid.
Our 2 door has 3.73 and 35s for almost 2 years now, it's not terrible. Puts you at an equivalent 3.41 ratio, still not as bad as those running 3.21 gears.
BUT, still a big difference from 4.56 :)

·
Super Moderator
15,365 Posts
i'm in the same boat as Chris36l: 35's and 3.73. its fine for driving around town and some mild wheeling. With mine being a manual, I get a little deeper first gear than an auto but it still leaves me wishing I had more torque off the line, especially off road.

next question is ultimate 44 front with 4.88 or just do the gears and wait until the dana 30 breaks.
Personally I would go with the 44 if your wallet supports the upgrade. 4.88 is very small in a D30. We're doing a front 44 right off the bat when the wife's new one gets here in October.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5776eeb756d70ed4939dda8a

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally I would go with the 44 if your wallet supports the upgrade. 4.88 is very small in a D30. We're doing a front 44 right off the bat when the wife's new one gets here in October.

Dana 44 upgrade for the front axle?

If you're saying that you've lasted 2 years with 35" and 3.73 then I can wait longer and do the axle and regear together. I suppose I'm looking for an honest opinion. Does it suck? Is it annoying?

Also I was considering 4.56

I failed to mention it's a 4-gear automatic transmission 3.8L

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2008 JKU with a 2.5" lift, 35" BF Goodrich K02 AT tires, 6 speed manual, 3.73 with tow package. It drives fine and I'm still getting around 16 gallons a mile on combo city and highway driving. I haven't 4WD much yet planning to upgrade to adjustable control arms first to fix some issues created by the previous owner doing a piecemeal lift that was installed.

·
Super Moderator
15,365 Posts

If you're saying that you've lasted 2 years with 35" and 3.73 then I can wait longer and do the axle and regear together. I suppose I'm looking for an honest opinion. Does it suck? Is it annoying?

That 44 comment was for @Thisdude because of the gear size he is considering for the D30.

Like I said, ours has been fine but we have the 3.6 motor so YMMV.

I'm going to tag @SoDakSooner, he recently did the gears on his d30 to 4.56. Let's get his opinion on if he'd do it again or go straight to a 44 in hindsight.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I also have a 3.8, 4 speed automatic, 3.73 gears and 35's. It's slow, but it drives so much better with just turning the overdrive off. Of course this has no effect on acceleration, but at cruising speeds it drives much better without the constant shifting in and out of overdrive.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
On a 3.8 you need more gear than the 3.6. With my 3.6 I hated 35's with 4.10 but I have a manual. It was not off road I hated it but on road. I opted for 4.88's and could not be happier for the most part. I did take a hit in MPG when running 70 mph I just avoid the freeways now if time permits. Over all though my MPG is no worse and maybe a little better than I had with 4.10's, again if I avoid the freeways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2013 manual JKU with 3.5" lift and 35s. Like others have said, it's totally drivable, especially flat surfaces. I wish I had 4.56, but it hasn't made me drop the money to do it. I'd rather upgrade other components first.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts

I rolled with 3.21 gears for 4 months in Ohio. You will be fine, but when or if you do, it will make a hell of a difference. I'd do it if it were me.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts

Oops 3.8... I have the 3.6.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the consensus seems to be that with a...
3.8L - 4 speed auto - 3.8L - 3.73 gear ratio

I could probably NOT hate myself driving around flat surfaces on 35" tires (BFG KO2).

The trend seems to indicate that when I do upgrade, I go for 4.88 due to it being a JKU and a 3.8L (3.8L needs more gear than 3.6).

When referring to Dana44 upgrade, to accommodate the 4.88, what components are we referring to?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I bet there are thousands of jeeps out there running 35's with 3:21's and 3:73's for years with no problems. Most aren't on forums or are on a different forum. There are probably hundreds on this forum too. Personally I'd do it unless I was a rock crawler.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bet there are thousands of jeeps out there running 35's with 3:21's and 3:73's for years with no problems. Most aren't on forums or are on a different forum. There are probably hundreds on this forum too. Personally I'd do it unless I was a rock crawler.
its an overlander. although the final product is intended to do moderate rock crawling in the context of overlanding.

thanks for the input.

I'm gonna go for 35" + new tires + 2.5" lift + AEV procal in a single upgrade sometime before December.
gear upgrade is 1-2 years away

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So the consensus seems to be that with a...
3.8L - 4 speed auto - 3.8L - 3.73 gear ratio

I could probably NOT hate myself driving around flat surfaces on 35" tires (BFG KO2).

The trend seems to indicate that when I do upgrade, I go for 4.88 due to it being a JKU and a 3.8L (3.8L needs more gear than 3.6).

When referring to Dana44 upgrade, to accommodate the 4.88, what components are we referring to?
No. Most people recommend 5.13 gears for a 3.8 v6, automatic with 35 inch tires. If you had a 3.6 v6 with a 5 speed automatic, 4.88's would be the recommended gear for 35's.
When referring to a Dana 44 upgrade, they mean replacing your entire front Dana 30 differential with a Dana 44 differential (like the Rubicons come with).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts