Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 TJ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a frameless soft top that can be left on while running a hardtop during the winter months?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I don't think that it's possible to have BOTH on at the same time.

Both tops need to attach to the windshield, but you can only attach one or the other at a time.

Reactions: Bestop

·
Registered
2004 TJ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to run a "poor-man's" softop under your hardtop, install a SpiderWebShade.

Problem solved.
😉
I thought about that, but still want a certain amount of rain protection for when the wife runs shotgun. Not that she would melt, but trying to avoid the household getting "cold" when we get home, if you catch my drift.

I plan on running topless 90% of the time April - October.

·
Premium Member
'01 TJ Sport, '13 JKR
739 Posts
I thought about that, but still want a certain amount of rain protection for when the wife runs shotgun. Not that she would melt, but trying to avoid the household getting "cold" when we get home, if you catch my drift.

I plan on running topless 90% of the time April - October.
OH BOY DO I EVER CATCH YOUR DRIFT.

Reactions: Shark_13

·
Premium Member
'01 TJ Sport, '13 JKR
739 Posts
Yeah.

You can say, "It's a Jeep thing", but, sometimes, that just makes matters worse. 😉
Had a talk with my other half the other day, bought new seat belts for my TJ (which it sorely needed, the old ones were fraying and clearly not at their peak anymore) and she made fun of me for it. How I always buy my baby all these gifts but nothing for her. Which ain't true. Best thing to do is just shut up!

·
Registered
TJ
1,707 Posts
Storage issues? Sell the hardtop, run soft top 100% of the time. Plenty warm in the cold months still and storing a hardtop is a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L etorque with automatic transmission
77 Posts
Not sure about your situation for space, but do you have a garage? If so, is it at least tall enough to install a cheap hoist?

We have a tight 2 car garage and 2 Jeeps, but we at least have a 10 foot ceiling height even though parking is tight. I installed a hoist last year on the left side of the garage, and in a couple of days I'm about to install a 2nd on the right side. We back a Jeep in, attach the straps and lift the hard top off and let it hang there until it rains. Counting taking the screws off the hard top, it takes 10 minutes or so to get it off the Jeep. We hoist it up maybe 6 or 7 feet in the air, just enough to walk under while it is suspended there. You could have it any height really, just need to be able to park under it is all. The best thing is it only takes one person to lift the top up and down.

You also don't necessarily need 10 foot ceilings, 8 foot ceiling height should work just fine as well. We also don't have a soft top on either Jeep for now at least, but we now have the option to leave the hard top(s) at home when it is nice out.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
I run a targa top underneath my hard top. I’ll check out the setup more specifically later. Jeep in storage and don’t remember of the top of my head. Not sure if there is a full soft top version.

·
Registered
853 Posts
More of a space saver, having limited storage capabilities at home. I Figured if I could simply leave it partially installed and tucked up out of the way, it wouldn't get damaged or lost in storage.
I have a bowless top. When it's off the Jeep, it rolls up small enough to reside in a duffle bag a little bigger than my Marine Corps Seabag. I leave it on top of a shed in my yard, but it would easily fit under a bed.

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
The Trektop NX would be easier to store than the hard top when it was off. They only frame is from the rear of the door surround forward to the header bar. The side bows connect and pivot at the back corner of the door surrounds. Flip it back, disconnect the side bows from the door surrounds. Untie the straps that go around the B pillar cross bar, disconnect the straps at the back connected to the inside lip of the tub and lift off the top. the windows, if stored flat, would take up more room. But if you make sure the windows are clean, they can be rolled up (after removing the stiffeners at the back corners), with toweling or cut up old blankets placed between the windows. Then the stiffeners can be places on the outside of the roll and a couple of bungee cords to hold it rolled up can be placed almost anywhere.

As an alternative, you could remove the screws holding the header bar in the pocket at the front of the top fabric, then you can fold the fabric up and store it. Remove the screws holding the side bows onto the header bar (putting all the screws back into the header bar and you can store the header bar and side bows, the rear bow (slides into the fabric at the back, does not connect to anything, but sits on the curve of the sport bars at the rear turn down) and TG bar bungeed together with the door surrounds (which fold up).

Here is the instruction sheet. You can see how simple a top it is. (Unlike the one for the JK which has almost a full frame).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts