Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I screwed up on the jeep order it would appear. The salesman said-“Those mopar side rails are expensive, you can buy after-market much cheaper” and my wife ask me to confirm which I said “Sure, they sell them everywhere”.
In her mind that meant the mopar steps are sold everywhere cheaper. After showing her several that she does not like I ask her what the issue is and she tells me “I am afraid your dizzy wife will slip on those round ones so you need to buy me something flat.”
Round, flat, oval…I don’t see the difference but can someone suggest a good quality one that is maybe around the $250 range? What would you folks recommend?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Can't help with MOPAR rails, but maybe a work around for you...

What if you put some of the anti slip grip tape on a set of tube rails? The same kind of stuff the put on ramps and steps to keep people from slipping? Maybe that would make her feel more secure?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-Walk-Outdoor-2-Inch--180-Inch/dp/B0006HVKM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398352011&sr=8-2&keywords=anti+slip+tape

For what it's worth, we have ACE rock sliders on both our jeeps (tubular) and no one has ever had an issue with slipping on the powder coat. Maybe if she was wearing hard soled leather heels, but that's not typical jeep attire, or at least I wouldn't think it would be...

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
So I screwed up on the jeep order it would appear. The salesman said-“Those mopar side rails are expensive, you can buy after-market much cheaper” and my wife ask me to confirm which I said “Sure, they sell them everywhere”.
In her mind that meant the mopar steps are sold everywhere cheaper. After showing her several that she does not like I ask her what the issue is and she tells me “I am afraid your dizzy wife will slip on those round ones so you need to buy me something flat.”
Round, flat, oval…I don’t see the difference but can someone suggest a good quality one that is maybe around the $250 range? What would you folks recommend?
Most of the round and oval Side Steps we have, have a flat part for you to step on. I agree with Star that some grip tape can make your footing on the step feel much more firm. Let me know if you see a set of steps you like and I can get you a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
337 Posts
Can't help with MOPAR rails, but maybe a work around for you... What if you put some of the anti slip grip tape on a set of tube rails? The same kind of stuff the put on ramps and steps to keep people from slipping? Maybe that would make her feel more secure? http://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-Walk-Outdoor-2-Inch--180-Inch/dp/B0006HVKM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398352011&sr=8-2&keywords=anti+slip+tape For what it's worth, we have ACE rock sliders on both our jeeps (tubular) and no one has ever had an issue with slipping on the powder coat. Maybe if she was wearing hard soled leather heels, but that's not typical jeep attire, or at least I wouldn't think it would be...
x2 on ACE rails. Look good and easy install

·
Registered
372 Posts
I definitely don't think you "screwed up". Which side steps was she looking at that she actually liked? The Sahara Ones? If so, you can feel safe in telling her that they are slippery too.

$250 is on the low end for most side steps/rails, but if you would have purchased them from the dealer, they would have cost you about $500 anyway I believe.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have the ACE rock sliders - I like them and use them as steps getting in. My wife hates them. She does appreciate their function as rock sliders, just won't use them as steps and finds they stick out enough that they rub the back of her leg getting out,

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ace. Took about 15 minutes per side to install. Super easy. But I noticed mine are starting to rust a bit. Effing Buffalo winter.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Ace. Took about 15 minutes per side to install. Super easy. But I noticed mine are starting to rust a bit. Effing Buffalo winter.
Clean up the rust with a wire brush and hit them with some bedliner. Good as new! :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Did u tell her that the same thing would happen if they were stock steps?
I should have been clearer: She doesn't like them as steps because they are round not flat (she worries her foot will slip off and get caught between the two tubes) - additionally, she doesn't like that when getting out she gets dirt on the back of her legs because she brushes against them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The factory "steps" suck anyway since they arent really at the right height. My dad got them on his because my mom is short. My mom says they suck because they arent at the right height to be useful, but they are at the right height to hit her in the knee and be in the way of just climbing into the jeep. She can actually get into my JKUR easier than my dad's JKUS because I dont have anything that sticks out 4"+ at the wrong height.

·
Registered
57 Posts
To the OP. I just purchased a new jeep and this topic was the most hotly contested decision we made when it came to any of the mods we added to the jeep. She was worried about heels (I know it's a jeep) getting stuck in between the tubes and also wanted a flat area to step on. I wanted functionality and looks. We'll all said and done I went with what I wanted and she is actually very happy with them. They are like the smitty built. One complaint is the fact it does rub the back of your leg when getting out. I just told her with the lift it doesn't matter what we get unless she wants a pedestal to get in and out. This isn't a princess carriage it's a jeep. She has now figured out why I laughed about the heels comment and doesn't plan on having that attire on when jeeping.

·
Registered
140 Posts
IF you are only worried about steps, the MORE hide-a-step are individually cheap enough that you can put one on each side for about your budget ( but is not a rail/slider). looks better with rockrails (best bet is used/discards from a rubicon in the for sale section or craigslist) but usable without the rails.
I have the src classic with steps I got on sale for less than $300, and they were about the cheapest I had seen with a step area (warning, do not slide the srcs against rocks, get the smittybilt rockcrawlers like redskinswin has at a minimum for that.)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have a cheap set of Westin E-Series step rails that I bought on Amazon for around $150. I'm sure that they'd crumple up like tin cans if I tried to use 'em as sliders, but they work just fine to give passengers something to step on. Although I had to replace the pads on the drivers' side last year, they have held up pretty well otherwise over the past 3+ years.

Heck, even my 75-year-old mother was able to climb up into the Jeep (in the rain!) using them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Although your wife doesn't like the round ones for fear of slipping inside them, I can provide some advantages of round over flat types in practical use. My JK is used for mostly work, including commuting and driving through muddy fields and ditches on a weekly basis and I've got the ACE sliders (round tube).

There's less debris/mud build-up on the stepping area with round tubes compared to solid flat runners which I had on a few SUVs. The round tubes shed water which in winter means less ice build-up on the stepping area. The heavy duty round tube sliders like the ACE are robust enough to handle a lot of abuse. I've never had my foot caught in my slider tubes.

When I had flat running board styles on other SUVs, there was always debris/mud/ice build-up and whenever they got wet I slipped around a lot. Adding anti-skid tape didn't stick on as well to the surface of the flat runner styles. My 2 cents anyway.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts