Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting some DeeZee 3'' black nerf bars on my 06 TJ and i wanted some opinions. I'm thinking it might take away from the looks of it and I'm afraid that I will destroy them offroading. I'd greatly appreciate some opinions from you guys!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just took the stock steps off my LJ. Honestly, they don't look bad..but they DO take up a lot of room..looked like I added a 2" lift after I dropped them. I'm thinking about getting some rocker guards with tubes

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about doing that too but the nerf bars are cheaper than the rocker guards. I'm still undecided at the moment

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
It depends on what your going to use your jeep for, if rock crawling is one of them, no nerf bars or steps.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are sweet! I'm going to have to look into some rocker guards now lol

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm thinking about putting some DeeZee 3'' black nerf bars on my 06 TJ and i wanted some opinions.
I don't think you should do this.

I'm afraid that I will destroy them offroading.
That is a virtual certainty, particularly if any rocks are in your future.

the nerf bars are cheaper than the rocker guards.
Of course they are cheaper, because they don't perform the same function (ie--genuine body protection) that actual rock sliders do. Rock sliders will allow your Jeep to come crashing down onto an object--a large rock, a downed log, an errant Hyundai, whatever--and they'll simply shrug off the impact without sustaining any damage other than perhaps a scratch in their paint. This provides substantial peace of mind to the owner of the Jeep.

On the other hand, if you strike a rock, log or whatever with nerf tubes, they will fold up like a pretzel and will most likely be pushed up into contact the body. Now you'll have to pay for body work repair, plus you'll have to buy a replacement set of nerf tubes... which you'll probably decide to skip this time around and instead buy some real rocker guards.

So why not save time and money and just do it right the first time?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I like how it looks much better without running boards, but everybody out of my family/friends is shorter than I am and they have a hard time getting into the Jeep. Thats the only reason why I am considering nerf bars or rock sliders

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Took mine off not even a year after I got my jeep. Never looked back since.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yea I like how it looks much better without running boards, but everybody out of my family/friends is shorter than I am and they have a hard time getting into the Jeep. Thats the only reason why I am considering nerf bars or rock sliders
Get a stirrup step. Bolts to the body, sits just inside the door when you don't need it, flops out when you do. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It depends on what your going to use your jeep for, if rock crawling is one of them, no nerf bars or steps.
Exactly. Pretty much sums things up.

Then teach them how to get into the vehicle properly. Unless they're physically disabled, they should have no problem getting into your Jeep.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I've lost count on how many side steps I've taken off before wheeling or had to cut off after wheeling. Steps are fine for the mall and the beach but if you play around on rocks they are not a wise place to spend money.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm glad I didn't go ahead and order anything because I'm really starting to consider not putting them on lol. I appreciate all your thoughts everyone its helping me out alot!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am in the process of putting oem steps on my jeep, well, the passenger side anyway. Got a set for free only had to buy the hardware. My kids are 3 & 6 and want to do everything themselves. My jeep is also my DD so getting in and out is a nerve racking for me because they do not pay attention to what they are doing and a little wet on the thresholds make them very slippery. I will pull it off once they get a little older or start paying attention.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I have an '04 Sport that I installed "nerf bars" on back in '04.....for the Height challenged people in my life.... in the last 9 years, only 1 person ever used them...and when I was/ am off road they would "drag" and sometimes cause the Jeep to "Pivot" depending on the depth of the hole angles etc.

If I had it to do over, the stirrup step makes the most sense...obthw...replaced "nerf bars" with rails about 2 weeks ago...REALLY HAPPY WITH LOOKS AND PERFORMANCE OFF ROAD!!

My '12 JK yeah it has factory steps for the height challenged people in our lives. They are in their 80's

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Here's what I did...
CARR 102551 HOOP II XP3 Black Powder Coat Pair : Amazon.com : Automotive

Used safety lock pins from the hardware store instead of the provided bolts to hold the step to the bracket.

Steps are there for daily use but come off by pulling four pins out. They can be complete removed in seconds leaving nothing but the brackets which are tucked under the side and out of the way. You can see the D rings right above the step. It was cheap and it works and they feel solid when you step on them unlike stirrups. Don't get me wrong, stirrups work, but they can be awkward for older people as they are flexible and swing. The Carr steps don't move. I stand on them to clean the windshield or put the top on all the time.

Also, get some good grab handles to put right inside the doors, Paracord with steel buckles, not those velcro on piece of shits. I had one of those snap a plastic ring on my mother. After that I went with a set made of 550 Paracord, they are so much stronger.

I'm going out this weekend, maybe I can get some better pics of the installation of the steps.

P.S. I had the nerf bars on my old truck, they don't really work for a step. They are awkward, not low enough but too high, too close to the vehicle... I could never really use them. The Carr steps on the Jeep are in just the right spot. Using them is not awkward or uncomfortable at all. My mother and my girlfriends 75 year old stepmother uses them with no problems at all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts