Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess I can stop touting the fact that I have not had any problems with the Wrangler yet. Took it in to dealer because it seemed to be a little hot going up long grades. Temp would climb over 1/2, almost to 3/4.

I sat there for 3 hours on Friday as they went over it with a fine-toothed comb. They finally found the PASSENGER side head getting 40* hotter than the driver's side (which is usually the problem head). Chrysler Engineering has approved the replacement of BOTH heads on mine as a result. Parts are on order now.

Why do I have the feeling this could be the beginning of a very long, very ugly and frustrating road I am starting down?

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
sounds like you actually got treated well. I would be happy to get two new heads.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like you actually got treated well. I would be happy to get two new heads.
Yeah I was actually pretty surprised they stepped up so quickly. These guys always treat me well and the techs always compliment the Jeep. Perhaps they see the build and know that they probably won't get far jerking me around. So they are taking care of it, I just hope that they can take care of it correctly. I just have this nagging voice in the back of my head that keeps saying "what the heck did I get myself into now?"

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know the approximate lead time on new heads from Chryco these days? Kind of wondering if this thing will be going in for this work like next week or not until like the fall.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just rolled in the driveway. They delivered it from 20 miles away which was nice.

I can see one more reason it took them longer is because they found the passenger side cam scored and ended up replacing it as well as both heads.

Fingers crossed that this doesn't turn into a never ending battle on a vehicle with 20K on it.

2.5 weeks to repair. At least it was free. I was expecting more like 2.5 days though.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Why would you think this would be the start of endless problems? Have other 2012 owners been complaining of issues after their heads were replaced under warranty? :confused:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you think this would be the start of endless problems? Have other 2012 owners been complaining of issues after their heads were replaced under warranty? :confused:
I think both the symptoms and the repair are a little out of the norm. Most have ticking and check engine lights not rising temp as far as I know. And its usually just the driver head. Not sure how often they have to put a new cam in. Doesnt sound familiar and I have read a lot of ticking head threads. Sometimes Chrysler gets confused on this stuff when it doesn't fit the typical "formula". Will update you guys if any further related issues of course.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, any mechanical item can fail and yes warranty covers it, but that still sucks...:beerme:
Well said. I'm very happy so far but we will see what the future brings. I knew having an engine built on New Years Eve would get me eventually. Seriously it was. Jeep was built on April Fools day. AND delivered on a Friday the 13th. No joke. Wouldn't you be scared?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
Well said. I'm very happy so far but we will see what the future brings. I knew having an engine built on New Years Eve would get me eventually. Seriously it was. Jeep was built on April Fools day. AND delivered on a Friday the 13th. No joke. Wouldn't you be scared?
^^^WOW, quiet a track record on the build......:crazy::crazy::crazy:

I was always hoping that mine was built in the morning, before their lunch breaks..:drinks:..:blunt:

^^^Their Lunch breaks, have been filmed and shown on television more than once!
Very sad, but true...:(

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^WOW, quiet a track record on the build......:crazy::crazy::crazy:

I was always hoping that mine was built in the morning, before their lunch breaks..:drinks:..:blunt:

^^^Their Lunch breaks, have been filmed and shown on television more than once!
Very sad, but true...:(
Oh I have seen the forties and blunts at lunch in the parking lot on video. I used to tell a story about an engine assembler named Juan in the plant down in Mexico who would get drunk at lunch time and as long as you got your engine before lunch it was fine otherwise you are screwed. Obviously that was meant to be comical but its funny how true it turns out to be.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
At least you have new parts installed, so let's hope for longevity!!!!!!

I really like my 3.6 engine. Plenty of power, it doesn't burn any oil and the fuel economy has improved, verses past wrangler engines.
But the verdict is still out on longevity!

I really don't believe in extended warranties. I'm most cases, it's just a big money pit, with very little return..IMO If they didn't make money on them, then they would never sell them.

But at my age and being retired, well my plans are to keep the Rubicon long term, probably my last vehicle. So I went against all of my past thinking, and purchased the Lifetime warranty on it...:facepalm:

So if it turns out, that the 3.6 isn't a longevity engine, well the most out of pocket cost to me will be $100 per Dealer repair.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At least you have new parts installed, so let's hope for longevity!!!!!!

I really like my 3.6 engine. Plenty of power, it doesn't burn any oil and the fuel economy has improved, verses past wrangler engines.
But the verdict is still out on longevity!

I really don't believe in extended warranties. I'm most cases, it's just a big money pit, with very little return..IMO If they didn't make money on them, then they would never sell them.

But at my age and being retired, well my plans are to keep the Rubicon long term, probably my last vehicle. So I went against all of my past thinking, and purchased the Lifetime warranty on it...:facepalm:

So if it turns out, that the 3.6 isn't a longevity engine, well the most out of pocket cost to me will be $100 per Dealer repair.
And a couple weeks ;)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just gave the whole thing a once over from above and below. Everything looks good so far unlike the last time when they did the transmission line replacement and I found a few things really routed incorrectly. Going out for the first spin right now.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The 3.6 is being used in a lot of police fleet vehicles, those vehicle go through some serious testing. From one LEO-related publication...

A total of 160 different tests were conducted on engine dynamometers for a total dyno time of 57,000 hours. That is an equivalent of 12 million miles.

Once installed in the vehicle, 74 different tests were conducted for engine durability and on-board diagnostics. That proving ground testing was equivalent to 3.8 million customer miles. The 3.6L Pentastar V6 is one of the most carefully developed engines in Chrysler’s history. This V6 replaced all the other V6 engines in the corporation. A lot is riding on this engine; and Chrysler Powertrain treated it that way.
Time will tell, though. :)

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
The 3.6 is being used in a lot of police fleet vehicles, those vehicle go through some serious testing. From one LEO-related publication...

Time will tell, though. :)
That is good INFO!!!!!

Our boarder Patrol also runs several of the 3.6 engines. Dusty, hot environment, a lot of idling with the A/C on.
I have a friend that works for them, and he tells me that they are holding up very well so far.

Yep, time will tell..;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's been my experience that people who always expect bad things to happen, usually have bad things happen to them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts