Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me HOW people are running 4 link jeeps without trac bars?? The trac bar is such an essential component, how are people able to drive without the front and rear trac bar?? and why? more travel?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked back at the previous posts that I have read where people removed the TBs. They were talking about YJs. It all makes sense now... I feel like a fool now lol. I have heard of people driving without them on leaf sprung vehicles but for some reason I thought those who were removing them had TJs which made no sense to me how they were not in a bar ditch from driving without trac bars lol

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you triangulated the 4 link you could mitigate the lateral movement and not need a track bar on the TJ. It would likely be a trade off in other aspects of handling though. I think the three link with panhard is more common due to the ease of setup. I haven't done any of the geometry on the TJ/LJ myself but it would stand to reason it could be done, unless someone can tell me what I'm missing.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Triangulated 4 link. No need for a track bar. Its used quite often in the hot rod world. With the two bottom bars on your standard level plane then the two uppers coming in at an angle towards a center common point, generally right over the top of the pumpkin. On a standard 4 link when all bars are parallel there is nothing to keep shit from moving from side to side. Now put your two uppers at an angle towards a common point it will prevent any of the walking from side to side

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Can someone please explain to me HOW people are running 4 link jeeps without trac bars?? The trac bar is such an essential component, how are people able to drive without the front and rear trac bar?? and why? more travel?
as said, with a triangulated 4-link, vs the conventional 4-link + track bar the TJ's used (sometimes called a 4/5-link or 5-link). over convert to leafs.

the triangulated 4-link has nice characteristics for the rear axle for the most part. there are certain situations where it creates funky handling characteristics. sometimes used in the front too, but those typically create handling issues most people will not like...and there are often major clearance issues with the oil pan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My experience not running a trac bar came from when my trac bar broke at the mount the first time I wheeled the truck. I secured it out of the way to limp home, but every time I got over about 45-50mph I got nuclear death wobble until the trac bar and mount were replaced. Not sure if that's related but thought I'd share.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
My experience not running a trac bar came from when my trac bar broke at the mount the first time I wheeled the truck. I secured it out of the way to limp home, but every time I got over about 45-50mph I got nuclear death wobble until the trac bar and mount were replaced.
Ha, nice description.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
When I recently installed my new MC track bar, I took a moment to crank the steering back and forth without a track bar up front. The wheels stayed nice and straight while the frame/body shifted side to side.

·
Registered
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L 5spd Money pit Green
395 Posts
Seems to me that GCs ran with a triangle set up on the rear in place of the two upper arms. I could be wrong about that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts