Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

I'm trying to install a Lukas dash cam - it requires a constant 12V source and recommends to be connected directly to the battery. The unit itself has a power cutoff to avoid running down the battery so I'm not concerned with a direct battery connection in that regard.

What is the best method to get a wire from near the A pillar on the passenger side to the battery under the hood?

I noticed this area but it looks like its foamed and sealed shut and I don't see an existing rubber gasket I can use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tape the wire to a piece of coat hanger and shove it through the foam. It works like a charm. Alternatively shove the coat hanger through them pull it back with the wire taped to it. I have the power wire and antenna wire for my 2 way radio snaked through there and another power wire for some lighting application. The foam is really easy to push through. I think it is just there for sound isolation.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
If you use the search feature on here, you will find there is more spots you can use. But the one you are looking at is probably the easiest....just do as NEW JEEP said and you should be good to go....

·
Registered
341 Posts
I found it easiest to push the coat hanger in from the engine compartment, tape your wires to the hanger then pull it back to bring the wires with it . Very easy very small opening in foam just the size of the coat hanger.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A constant power source? Why not connect it to the pass side 12 volt plug? I only wanted mine to boot up upon ignition so mine is connected to the drivers side 12 V which is a "Key On" power source.

·
Registered
796 Posts
^^^
Quadratec sells a connector to tap into the lighter, plug n play.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A constant power source? Why not connect it to the pass side 12 volt plug? I only wanted mine to boot up upon ignition so mine is connected to the drivers side 12 V which is a "Key On" power source.
Perhaps its different in various trim levels but my 15 Sahara only has 1 12Volt cigarette lighter and thats on the passenger side. The other cigarette lighter adapter is in the center console. Perhaps you're referencing the drivers side as being the center console 12V?

Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Perhaps its different in various trim levels but my 15 Sahara only has 1 12Volt cigarette lighter and thats on the passenger side. The other cigarette lighter adapter is in the center console. Perhaps you're referencing the drivers side as being the center console 12V?

Thanks
Mine is a 2010 so, no power in the center but, if yours is constant on the pass side, you could tap into that instead. Easier and probably safer (it has a fuse already) then going directly to the battery.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Some have said there is a power lead on the passenger side a-pillar, on '12 and newer anyway.
Check that out first, maybe it's on the '10's too

·
Registered
660 Posts
Some have said there is a power lead on the passenger side a-pillar, on '12 and newer anyway.
Check that out first, maybe it's on the '10's too
I never found it, but i put a fused power strip feed from the battery behind the glove box. Easy to get to, EZ to install and lots of room behind the box..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts