Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install the OR-Fab 3rd Brake Light Kit onto my OR-Fab tire carrier (TJ). It suggests that you run the wires internally rather than zip tying them to the carrier tube. It shows where to drill the hole in the center of the carrier and gives the size. It shows the exit hole location near the hinge on the passenger side, where it would run into the tub and connect to the factory wiring.

So forgive my ignorance, but how do you run the wires through the tube and get them out of the hole at the end?

Baffling to me. I know this is commonly done, but I have never witnessed such a thing.

Thanks for any assistance you guys can give me. Photos or a video would be *very* helpful.

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Use a stiffer wire you can control and put it one hole and out the other. You then tape your wire you are going to use to your fishing wire and pull it through.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
an old antenna with the threaded end ground off works, or an old fishing rod with no loops on it. Just look around and see what you have. Something long, thin, flexible to fit through there and use electrical tape to tape your wires to one end of it and run it through.

·
Registered
244 Posts
compressed air works well

just deburr the inside part of the holes with a rattail file before inserting wire to avoid hangups then use a grommet to protect the wire from abrasion

·
Registered
398 Posts
I believe, old speedometer cable attached to a drill? I used something like that a while back. The cable spins and finds its way out through tthe hole

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None of those worked for me.

I will try to be more clear. The hole is in the side of the pipe, the wires must travel about two feet around a bend, then exit the side of the pipe. Entry and exit are perpendicular to the pipe length. Not the ends. The wires have to travel around tight bends and through small entry and exit holes. I could not even get my vacuum to draw much through the hole. No string came out, though it did travel about a foot down the tube. This was a large Rigid shop vac sealed up with tape to the hole. Nothing.

I will try again when I am more patient. This took me an hour to get nowhere, so I guess I need a half day to fiddle with it.

Any other ideas, guys?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You probably wont get wire through then the route you are trying. It will probably damage the wire pulling it around real tight corners.
The pictures in the Or-Fab instructions show it going straight across inside left to right the tube that attaches to the upper hinge, it should do that with a fish or string etc I'd think... Email them and see what they suggest too?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts