Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having tons of issues with my TJ and to be honest have learned more about that jeep in the last month than I ever wanted too! Now the radiator is toast(whole bottom blown out)
So I am running it with water running through the engine! NO RADIATOR at all! I pull over every mile and let it cool for atleast 30 mins... Sucks but I got to get to a place that sell a radiator! Am I letting it cool enough! How long does it take for an engine to get hot when you start in th morning after the engine is totally cooled?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
thats a call you will have to make but you know it will cost you big time if you don't wait long enough..tow truck is cheaper than an engine..down where I live I would just call the wife and tell her to bring a tow strap

·
Registered
717 Posts
issues

The issue with rerouting the water directly back into the engine is that there is no place for expansion. That will blow the hoses as the pressure builds up.

You absolutely do not want to run it for even 1 minute with no water. The heat build up on the cylinder wall is almost instantaneous without water in the surrounding water jacket. You can run it extremely hot and get away with it, usually, if you can keep water flowing through the jacket.

For an emergency, get some container to put in the front and run the water through it. No cover, just run it in the top and draw it out the bottom. No thermostat.

Almost any option on getting a radiator is a better option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts