Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post All, so be gentle ;-)

I replaced the TPS and as per all the other postings I stripped and or broke the darned torx bolts holding it in.

As others I was surprised there are no replacement bolts with the replacement TPS and even te local autozone had no idea what size they were. So I ordered some on-line - guessing as to size. Everyone seems to have a different suggested size in posts too!!

Anyway, to pick up the mail I have to drive about ten miles to the post office.
I am not looking to run continually without the TPS but in order to pick up the parts I need to drive. I have heard warnings that range from "it will blow up" to "it won't run at all" to "it will ruin the pistons."

Thought I would poll the forum and get some feedback,

Thanks All,
Tim

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
It may not run great but I doubt it will hurt anything & of course you will get the CEL.

I have no actual experience with that on my Jeep but recently was doing some work on the 4Runner & accidentally left the TPS connector unplugged. It started just fine but when I got in to drive it I noticed the CEL was on but decided to drive it before checking the code. It ran OK but was sluggish when accelerating. When I ran the code it was no TPS signal & knew why, plugged it in, no more CEL & no harm done.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,846 Posts
The TPS screw size is 10-32x1" fine thread which is a common and easily found size. Run over to your local hardware store, they'll have hundreds of them in stock in various lengths and head styles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jerry, the 10-32 is one of the many sizes I saw along with different size torx to use to remove the bolt. And I was skeptical about the 10-32 since I thought the Wrangler was all metric. Apparently the 2003 is not all metric. Anyway, I was messing around my gun bench and ran across my Browning scope mount screw pack I bought a while back. Guess what size is in there? A nice 10/32 1" Perfect fit! Now all I have to do is pick up the TPS, install and check the ODBCII readouts!!!

Thanks All!!!!

·
Knows a couple things...
48,846 Posts
Thanks Jerry, the 10-32 is one of the many sizes I saw along with different size torx to use to remove the bolt. And I was skeptical about the 10-32 since I thought the Wrangler was all metric. Apparently the 2003 is not all metric. Anyway, I was messing around my gun bench and ran across my Browning scope mount screw pack I bought a while back. Guess what size is in there? A nice 10/32 1" Perfect fit! Now all I have to do is pick up the TPS, install and check the ODBCII readouts!!!

Thanks All!!!!
Wrangler TJs use a mix of both SAE and metric size hardware throughout the Jeep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts