Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Sport and been doing some research on saving my frame. I would like to start off with the inside of the frame working out. Long story short her name is Titanic and damn she is rusting. I have read multiple threads on how to get out debris out (pressure washing, air hose, shop vacuum, etc). But these are huge chunks I am breaking out.

Have you guys found a good tool to use to break up the chunks of rust? Also, do you guys have suggestions on a good way of getting this stuff out so I can treat my frame with Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
well if the loose material is that large then I think you are going to have to cut open a portion of the frame to use as an exit point for these "chunks". Then you will have better access to clean and treat the frame interior followed by welding on a patch over the removed section.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Depends on how large these chunks are. There's a good thread somewhere on here showing you how to drill some holes in the frame by the front and rear control arm brackets on both sides of the frame. From there, a hose/pressure washer should break up the majority of the chunks and flush them out. An incline will certainly help with this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys ill try to find that thread. I have been researching for the last couple of days with no luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also like to add that these chunks are relatively 2-3 inches wide. I would get them as close the hole as possible so I can break them into pieces. But knowing that I have such big pieces near the hole means there might be Niger ones in places I can't see.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I drilled drain holes as described in the link posted.

I used this to pull rust flakes out of the frame. I also hooked a tube up to my shop vac and ran that in the frame to clean it out.
TEKTON 7611 24-Inch Flexible Magnetic Pick-Up Tool - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com

This weekend I parked on an incline and ran water through the frame with a low pressure garden hose for 20 min.
10 Min with the nose down and 10 min with the nose up.

Next week I plan to coat the inside of the frame with this
Eastwood Internal Frame Coating

Hopefully that will take care of the inside.

Before winter comes I plan to sand and paint the outside with POR 15.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drilled drain holes as described in the link posted.

I used this to pull rust flakes out of the frame. I also hooked a tube up to my shop vac and ran that in the frame to clean it out.
TEKTON 7611 24-Inch Flexible Magnetic Pick-Up Tool - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com

This weekend I parked on an incline and ran water through the frame with a low pressure garden hose for 20 min.
10 Min with the nose down and 10 min with the nose up.

Next week I plan to coat the inside of the frame with this
Eastwood Internal Frame Coating

Hopefully that will take care of the inside.

Before winter comes I plan to sand and paint the outside with POR 15.
Thanks for the help this is exactly what I'll be doing here shortly I will add some pics and details once I do. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I used a long shaft flexible magnet/ pick up tool. I was able to drag those large rust chunks to the larger oval holes in the frame an either extract them or use my fingers and a needle nose to break the large pieces so they would come out of the factory holes. Hated the idea of drilling more holes in an already rusted and slightly weakened frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts