Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a nice size surface rust in my passenger floor board and i want to know what the best way is to remove it and prevent it! I appreciate any reply!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
sand it all down, re paint.
Get all of the rust gone.
Prevention:
keep your air conditioner drain unclogged. its on the passenger side on the firewall. its a little tube pointing down. it allows the condensation made by the ac to drip down, and if it is clogged, it goes into your passenger floor board.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had same problem. Sanded. Primed with rustoleum. Painted with multiple coats of spray rubber undercoating. Worked really well and has held up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would clean and sand it then use a rust treatment to stop the rust, then prime and paint. There are several products available I usually use Permatex rust treatment as it is available at the local auto parts stores. If you do not get rid of all the rust or neutralize it, it will come back. Like they say, rust never sleeps.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Had same problem. Sanded. Primed with rustoleum. Painted with multiple coats of spray rubber undercoating. Worked really well and has held up.
what brand name is this spray rubber? I literally have a crack in my floorboards that I can see light through....someone is going to put a foot through my floor soon. haha bedliner didnt cover it and I dont want to go through the trouble of welding and sanding...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey another guy in a jeep, you can put masking tape over the cracks then put the bed liner on over the tape and when it hardens you won't be able to tell where the crack is. You can also tape over holes too. I use herculiner from autozone and it works great.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Another Guy In A Jeep said:
what brand name is this spray rubber? I literally have a crack in my floorboards that I can see light through....someone is going to put a foot through my floor soon. haha bedliner didnt cover it and I dont want to go through the trouble of welding and sanding...
I had a hole, I ground down the hole, and wielded in a metal disc.. After bed liner it looks factory... It's worth the 10 min to grind and wield it shut again

·
Registered
238 Posts
for one the carpet is really what holds that moisture that caused the rust. get rid of that and things will progress extremely slowly if not stop.....

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
ALASKA99TJ said:
for one the carpet is really what holds that moisture that caused the rust. get rid of that and things will progress extremely slowly if not stop.....
Especially the metal heat shield.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im in that club too except my 99 sport isn't that bad. I want to sand and neutralize the rust then either rubber coat or paint the same color that the jeep is

·
Registered
79 Posts
will the rubber coat seal the floor after the treatment to prevent new rust or should i clear or enamel it?

·
Registered
697 Posts
What about the other side? If you remove the plug you will notice there's probably rust on the underside of that pan. This is why I haven't treated my rusty floor pan yet because I feel the underside rust will still eat through it regardless of what I do to the top side.

I vote to cut out and replace the pan with one of the many available floor replacement pans out there and then rust-proof it with bedliner or whatever you prefer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts