Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have the problem with the paint bubbling off the hing that's attached to the door

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Mike had that problem on six of his eight door hinges and both hood hinges. He has a 2013 and it was about nine months old at the time.

We took it into the dealer and they had to take photos and send them in to Chrysler for warranty approval. Took about 48 hrs.

Dropped the jeep off, they removed all the hinges from the body, sand blasted everything, repainted, clear coated and reinstalled. Took two days. And they were nice enough to touch up on ding he had on the frame part of the hinge that he got taking the doors off.

Service writer in the body shop said its a known issue with jeeps. Something about using a cheaper metal for the hinges and not being finished properly.

We had them fixed last August. Haven't had any reoccurrence to date. But I watch them like a hawk!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Unless they changed something recently, the hinge plates on the wranglers are aluminum. The bubbling you see is due to corrosion because Chrysler never primed them properly.
If you remove the hinge from the door, you'll also notice they don't always prime under them! so you've got two different kinds of metal in direct contact.
On my 2-door, I pulled all of the hinges and had them blasted and powdercoated. Just waiting for a string of clear, warm days to do the same with my 4-door.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Unless they changed something recently, the hinge plates on the wranglers are aluminum.
I thought they were aluminum too. However, after reading this thread, I grabbed a magnet, and tested mine. The magnet sticks pretty strongly to my hinges.

Did Jeep change the JK's hinges over the years?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I thought they were aluminum too. However, after reading this thread, I grabbed a magnet, and tested mine. The magnet sticks pretty strongly to my hinges.

Did Jeep change the JK's hinges over the years?
Mike's jeep is a 2013, so I'm not sure what that does to your theory...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Mike's jeep is a 2013, so I'm not sure what that does to your theory...
Its not a theory. A magnet sticks to the hinges. If they were indeed aluminum, I don't think such would happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts