Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2000 TJ and underneath, theres some rusting on the frame. I attached a picture below, I was wondering how bad is this rust, is it worth a weld patch/replacement and how much would that cost. Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Is there anything solid behind the rust shown? You can get weld in sections from these guys...or others... https://www.autorust.com/

First figure out how bad it is.. is this the only spot? If multiple areas you and depending on your budget, you might be better to get a new/used frame.

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
see if you can drop the skid plate, the frame seems to rot out there due to crap getting trapped between the frame rails and skid.

that doesnt look great

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but I would go to lowes sooner rather than later and buy some Fluid Film. You will find it on an endcap in the tool section. Get three spray cans and spray it everywhere you see rust. It will stop it dead in its tracks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Though it isn't pretty, the frame may very well be salvageable, but you won't know until you delve deeper.

If it were cancer, and in a way it is, I'd give it a stage 2, and advise you to explore the frame with vigorous screwdriver jabs or hammer blows to better determine the extent of damage and prognosis. It may have metastasized to other areas.

A previous poster was right: you'd be wise to drop the belly pan and see what evil lurks between the frame and pan. And pay particular attention to the other angles in the frame as well. Heck, you can pick up a $20 smartphone endoscope on Amazon and see where the sun doesn't shine. Literally.

Only after a thorough examination (by you or a professional) will you be able assess the damage and plan your course. Take heart in knowing many members here have faced the Big R, and have recovered.

Let's hope a little minor surgery is all it takes!

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm going to take it to a mechanic ASAP and have them check it out. Hopefully it doesnt burn a hole in my wallet haha

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Looks bad enough for me to run away. Back on the rear beside the rear tires on the frame, that looks like there is perforation. If so, yes, that is bad. Thats is not surface rust, that is terminal cancer.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm going to take it to a mechanic ASAP and have them check it out. Hopefully it doesnt burn a hole in my wallet haha
Once this issue is resolved, please take the time to return to this thread and tell us what you found, and how you solved it.

Future members with a similar problem will be grateful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once this issue is resolved, please take the time to return to this thread and tell us what you found, and how you solved it.

Future members with a similar problem will be grateful.
Yeah absolutely! I'm having it checked out tomorrow by a buddy who owns a shop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts