Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon. It is one month old. I noticed the exhaust, drive shafts, and various chassis components are rusting severely. I live in Southern California and it barely rains so it doesn't really get wet unless when I hose off the undercarriage. Is this normal or do I have an issue here? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Its normal for a Jeep, but I think for the money we paid, they could have done a better job coating the parts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's perfectly normal for a stock drive shaft to turn rust colored. I had the same concern when I first bought my '14.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I'm finding rust areas as I'm poking around modding my rig. If it is something that seems to rust in it's entirety (i.e driveshshafts) I don't sweat it. If it is something that is mostly painted but was scratched, I clean it (usually with a Dremel) and then spray it with a flat black Rustoleum encapsulator (usually through a small square cut out in a piece of cardboard. Works great, makes me feel better, and probable doesn't matter at all.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes, my drive shaft rusted within a week. Normal. I had a can of some kind of penetrant that would bond with rust, clear in color. Turn all rusted surfaces a flat black color. Gonna try and find more of it and maybe treat my DS....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Fluid film is working for me im up in ny so rust is a big issue and I coated everything under my jeep with it and with all the snow we have been having I haven't seen any new rust forming and it was compleatly covered in salt. So far it seems to work and last about 2-3 months

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with every one else above, they should have put more coats of paint on the under carriage and steering, axles and suspension parts. All auto manufactures have the same issue, we have owners of new trucks coming in to our dealership and GM is paying to have everything cleaned and repainted I don't know what Chryslers policy is under factory warranty. I'm going to hoist my JKU in the spring wash everything, dry everything and repaint all the axles steering and suspension components where necessary with Rustoleum or Tremclad with a brush so it goes on thick then spray WD40 after its dry. Regular hot/warm soap wash and hot water rinse underneath and spraying everything with Rust Check, Krown or WD40 etc will reduce this issue greatly. But in the winter when the works department is laying liquid salt brine or regular salt on the roads almost daily it has to be done more often like every 3-4 weeks. My opinion is nothing looks worse then a nice looking vehicle on the exterior and underneath everything is covered in brown surface corrosion. A lot of people forget that the under side requires attention also not just what you see. Just my .02c .

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,001 Posts
I'm in Phoenix. I have owned my Wrangler for approx 2 years. The only rust under mine is on the drive shaft.
They did a nice job of painting my undercarriage!!!!!

My neighbors 2015, was all rusted underneath when he took Delivery. This happened on the Transporter in a snow storm. His Dealer pressure washed the undercarriage and then repainted it under warranty. They filed a claim with the transportation Company!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If water wasent bad enough add salt into the mix and you have a big problem, I'm always jealous of you south west guys no snow and no salt lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just changed my rock rails out on my week old 2015 JKU and I was shocked to see all of the rust underneath. I saw a couple of spots where it looked like paint should have been applied, but was missed as well.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Just changed my rock rails out on my week old 2015 JKU and I was shocked to see all of the rust underneath. I saw a couple of spots where it looked like paint should have been applied, but was missed as well.
If rust gets out of control, that might be my breaking point, would trade in the Jeep before its value is diminished. Already getting a hard-on for the 2017 Ford Raptor, so the Jeep better play nice ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
If rust gets out of control, that might be my breaking point, would trade in the Jeep before its value is diminished. Already getting a hard-on for the 2017 Ford Raptor, so the Jeep better play nice ;)
Yeah, not sweating the rust. Raptor? I think that is the same truck they are selling in Australia as the Ranger?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm in central jersey and would like to know where I can get this fluid film applied. My buddies looking to do his.
You can buy Fluid Film at any auto parts store, comes in a can just buy 2 or 3 cans and do it yourself. Other alternative is get it oil sprayed by a company like Rust Check or Krown in the spring time when things start to warm up and then get it resprayed once a year. They will put the wands up inside the doors and
between body panels like your hood and fenders and in the holes in the chassis underneath and the holes in the frame rails. Costs about $175. Money well spent to protect your investment. Don't apply that tar type under coating it just holds in moisture and causes more rusting and everything sticks to it, also a pita if your ever want to remove it and get back down to all the original surfaces. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts