Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1997 TJ Sahara that I use as a winter vehicle and that my wife will drive in the summer. Due to age it is showing surface rust on the rear corners and tailgate and being the Obsessive/Compulsive person that I am it's driving me freaking nuts. Now there are no holes or anything of that nature, but my question is If I were to put something like Poison Spyder protective panels over these areas and use some form of silicone to seal around the edges to help prevent any moisture getting behind them. It is a third vehicle so I dont want to get stuck putting thousands into Body panels and repainting, my Charger is my normal money pit and I think the wife will flip if I have 2 . :whistling:

Thanks for the incite......
~Tony

·
Registered
299 Posts
The only sure way to stop rust is to sand it out completely and paint it. Shouldn't be bad if it's like you say just surface rust. I've been building old cars for a long long time and rust...sucks! There are lots of products on the market that claim to convert rust to an inert state, I haven't found one that actually worked, eventually rust will come back. When steel oxidizes it changes the crystaline structure of the steel molecules, once rust has begun the only way to completely stop it is to completely remove it. With surface rust that means sand it till it's clean and shiny metal, prep and paint to keep future moisture out. I wouldn't put any panels or anything over it to hide it, the rust will continue to eat and if you ever do get rid of it the next owner will find huge honking holes under those panels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only sure way to stop rust is to sand it out completely and paint it. Shouldn't be bad if it's like you say just surface rust. I've been building old cars for a long long time and rust...sucks! There are lots of products on the market that claim to convert rust to an inert state, I haven't found one that actually worked, eventually rust will come back. When steel oxidizes it changes the crystaline structure of the steel molecules, once rust has begun the only way to completely stop it is to completely remove it. With surface rust that means sand it till it's clean and shiny metal, prep and paint to keep future moisture out. I wouldn't put any panels or anything over it to hide it, the rust will continue to eat and if you ever do get rid of it the next owner will find huge honking holes under those panels.
Baaaaaaaaa thanks MOJO, you have confirmed my fear...I was just hoping for an easier to rid myself of having to see the rust, but looks like thats not an option....

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Ive got some of the same,Rust under the door and in the drivers rear corner.I sanded the rust,put a rust convertor on (por15) primer & paint with rustoleum.Cover with body armour.I also will use some sealant between body and armour.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ive got some of the same,Rust under the door and in the drivers rear corner.I sanded the rust,put a rust convertor on (por15) primer & paint with rustoleum.Cover with body armour.I also will use some sealant between body and armour.
Yeah, if you sand it out POR 15 is awesome! If you just paint right over the rust without sanding it out nice and clean though...it will come back sooner or later. Ask me how I know! :rolleyes:

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Heck if it was bad you could prob cut out the rusted piece,paint & cover. with armour.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heck if it was bad you could prob cut out the rusted piece,paint & cover. with armour.
Yeah that could be an option as well, I guess I just need to set aside some time and see truly how bad it is. My brother has a YJ that is riddled with rust and he plans on replacing some of the metal on his this summer maybe I'll see how much labor I can milk from him for a case of beer :thumb:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts