Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few rust spots on the front of the grille from where the PO left a grille cover on and water got in-between. I was wondering if there was any way to get it off without damaging the paint and having to put new paint on. I know this might sound silly but wanted to see if I could do this since its just surface rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
That looks to be a little too much to buff out. I would pull the grill sand it down throw some primer and flat black down and reinstall

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks to be a little too much to buff out. I would pull the grill sand it down throw some primer and flat black down and reinstall

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wish it was simple to just remove the TJ grille, i will see what I can do though.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Pulling the grille sucks. I'd be tempted to leave it in place... prep, mask and paint carefully. Absolutely better results if you pull the grille as suggested though. I'd use a can of adhesion promoter followed by rattle-can bedliner.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
old newspapers and some masking tape sand it primer it and paint it.
flat black would look good on there, does on my khaki, and i can touch it up every wkend if i need to.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
By all means at least try to clean it off.

Rubbing compound and a damp rag and get after it

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one of those black covers that go over the grille but I like the look of the silver grille so much more. I will try the rubbing compound though, any recommendations on brand?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Any brand will work... I use 3m

What's not to like about a silver grill?!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,261 Posts
That rust is not on top of the paint, it is through the paint. Paint does not rust. The overlay was most likely plastic which also does not rust. What does rust is steel. All you have gotten off so far is the RUST STAIN.

You need to sand down the face of the grille, then prime and repaint. Black, semi-gloss would be good since the front bumper is also black. If you decide to go back with silver, in order to look right it would need to be painted several coats, wet sanded and clear coated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
CLR rubbed on it will reduce it. Google clr and car paint and you’ll see a lot of 60s and 70s cars with the rusty patina wiped off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts