Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I’m new to this forum. I purchased a 95 rio grande this week and I’m so excited to work on this machine. The first thing I want to work on is some rust treatment so I need a little coaching. Here are some questions
1. Wheels: what do you recommend to remove rust and prepare for a coat of paint?
2. Front of the frame: I want to make it look newer and don’t know if need to scrape the rust first or a cleaner would do it
3. Door joints and screws: I want to attack rust to prevent problems later
4. Frame: as you can see I have a little more than surface rust on the frame but I think I can work on this still
5. Paint: Some areas in paint are fragile. Should i slice some of the metal and put a new panel? Should I fix with a paste?

Thank you guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
1. Your best bet is to break down the tires and wheels and have the wheels sandblasted, then either paint or powdercoat. It would be tough so sand/grind that rust off any other way.
2. Remove as much of the rust as possible, then use one of the many rust encapsulators out there. POR15, Chassis Saver, etc.
3. They really don't look bad at all. Pull the doors and clean that area up good and add paint if necessary.
4. See #2
5. Cut it out and weld in new steel. That is the only long term solution there.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
I agree with daddyjeep.
I might add on #3, from the angle the pin bushings look like they might be worn. If so, look for replacements.
On #5, I'd sandblast that area before cutting anything out. If the rust isn't all the way through, I'd simply refinish that area. Eventually the rust will come back because it's already in the seam between the side panel and the rear cap. The cure for that is to replace the cap (it already has a dent) and while doing so use professional methods to rust proof the seam between the two panels.
Since if you refinish or repair the rusty area you'll be painting the side anyhow, I'd seal the seam with a catalyzed autobody seam sealant. It might hold the water out to prevent further rust.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: PNWYJDOG
1 - 7 of 7 Posts