Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for treating and protecting undercarriage from rust? I've seen mixed reviews only of how to treat undercarriage.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Go to this link here on WF: The end-all Fluid Film thread

A product called fluid film may have more believers in it's ability to treat and prevent rust than any other product (maybe just for the money). I have used it and could use another preventative treatment this fall.

·
Registered
645 Posts
POR-15. Paint over the rust and then top coat if desired.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The fluid film thing is a bit over rated...call up line x and have them spray on their value guard....it's a black tar like coating that doesn't hold water and looks good to boot...if you insist on a treatment that requires a yearly application...I prefer acf50...do some digging on it...smoked the 10 product tests and was designed to prevent corrosion on fighter jets aboard aircraft carriers....

·
Registered
75 Posts
When you buy a new car, dealership will offer some expensive full under carriage rust treatment... its like $800-$1000 (sometime more)

its a black tar thing... it makes your undercarriage totally black.. almost like a flat black paint. For any small parts they might have missed, i add fluid film periodically

a friend of mine does that for living , they do car dealerships all day long. I was able to have it done on my jeep for like $100 which is what the product really cost per car.. so people paying $1000+ are just being ripped off.

i highly recommend the black tar thing..

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You need to specify if you are needed to treat rust or prevent rust. I am one who would say the fluid film is not over hyped. I have some pictures in that thread, I bought my JKU in the fall of 2017 and applied FF very quickly. As you can see my pictures I have no rust on anything, most noticeably is my driveshaft. Many people can't find a jeep on the lot that doesn't have a rusty driveshaft, let alone one that has been through multiple Indiana winters and still not rusted. I just buy a couple cans of the aerosol and put it on a lift. I only do mine once a year too. They recommend twice a year but I don't put on a lot of miles so it doesn't wear off as quickly as those with a daily driver.

If you have an older jeep that is already rusty I can say that POR is a good product. I have used it twice and both times it was on a frame off repair of a vehicle (66 Chevelle and 86 Chevy 3/4 ton truck). With the bodies off of both vehicles it was pretty easy to apply when you are just dealing with a frame. I think it would be a lengthy process to paint it on the underside of a vehicle without getting it on everything. It get's painted on and it like house paint only thicker. If you don't have access to a lift I wouldn't even try it myself.

·
Registered
914 Posts
IF your jeep is pretty much rust free then I recommend WoolWax. My 2016 had never been used in the winter therefore the underside was pristine. Checked the underside several times this summer and everything still looks really good. No surface rust to be seen after past 11 months.

Live in an area that uses profuse amounts of salt brine and sand. To date the wool wax is holding up extremely well. I did some suspension work this summer and can attest the underside is still WELL coated.... YUCK! It however is protecting the underside from rust! It's very important IMO to get rust prevention inside the frame rails. That's where real trouble starts that's unforeseen. It's a inexpensive investment when you're selling because potential buyers don't need to worry about FRAME ROT.

I did the undercoating myself for about 150 bucks and still have enough product left for re-coating this fall. Only thing required to spray is a robust compressor with plenty of CFM. If your compressor can handle air tools and/or spray equipment you'll be fine. Entire job too me less then 2 hours. If you do use the product a tip is to place the WoolWax in a very hot bucket of water for an hour BEFORE applying. Makes spraying much much easier.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I use Fluid Film on my JKU and my son's 06 LJ. Both Jeeps get the complete underside sprayed and inside the frame. Now that Fluid Film is releasing black, I may switch to that once my current gallon is depleted. I have a Kelsport gun that sprays fantastic and attachments for getting inside the frame. WoolWax is basically the same only thicker and stays put, creeps less, than Fluid Film.

This is the gun I have Undercoating gun.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Another vote for Fluid Film...I use the aerosol cans with the flex tube attachment for getting up inside the frame and other hard to reach places.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I use Fluid Film on my JKU and my son's 06 LJ. Both Jeeps get the complete underside sprayed and inside the frame. Now that Fluid Film is releasing black, I may switch to that once my current gallon is depleted. I have a Kelsport gun that sprays fantastic and attachments for getting inside the frame. WoolWax is basically the same only thicker and stays put, creeps less, than Fluid Film.

This is the gun I have Undercoating gun.
For whatever reason WoolWax is 100% oder free which some prefer. I believe both products work very well providing you reapply as needed. Our DOT state/local turn our blacktop roads completely WHITE during the winter. The amount of damage to our water supply, vegetation and vehicles must run in the billions. I agree it's critical to be truly effective must have the attachments to get those products deep into the frame. For a few hours of DIY and modest cost it's foolish NOT to protect your vehicles underside with at least something.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I tried Fluid Film, but it did not last as long as I would like and dirt sticks to it. I use this HD metal protector. It dries to a kind of waxy coating. The only bad thing is it smells bad when first applied.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
For whatever reason WoolWax is 100% oder free which some prefer. I believe both products work very well providing you reapply as needed. Our DOT state/local turn our blacktop roads completely WHITE during the winter. The amount of damage to our water supply, vegetation and vehicles must run in the billions. I agree it's critical to be truly effective must have the attachments to get those products deep into the frame. For a few hours of DIY and modest cost it's foolish NOT to protect your vehicles underside with at least something.
I‘m in the minority for sure, but I kinda like the smell of fluid film. I know, weird. 🤪🤪

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I‘m in the minority for sure, but I kinda like the smell of fluid film. I know, weird. 🤪🤪
hah! I’m not quite in the “like the smell” camp but I found the rumors of its stench to be greatly exaggerated! Seriously though, from what some people were saying about the smelI I thought my neighbors might complain!

Reactions: jeep63

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
hah! I’m not quite in the “like the smell” camp but I found the rumors of its stench to be greatly exaggerated! Seriously though, from what some people were saying about the smelI I thought my neighbors might complain!
my son calls it “ice hockey locker room smell”. he hates to first few days in the fall after we do it to his lj. lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you don’t want to go the DIY route there are other options out there. I am in the New England area and tried NH Oil Undercoating. Instead of smelling like a locker room, your Jeep smells like you have an oil leak for a little bit. So far so good and will plan on having a it done again this fall.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like using corroseal to convert the rust....for ease of use and cost. then coat with fluid film....again for ease of use, cost, and avalability. this is a picture of the frame on my Avalanche 2500. it was simply pressure washed then brushed on corroseal. this little bit took me a minute to do....and less than an hour later I had this. also a shot of the gas tank skid plate on my last tj before and after. the orange reflection is my camaro that was parked behind me while taking the pictures....didn't notice til after pictures, but the skid is black.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts