Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, finally bought a JKU about 2 weeks ago now and was wondering what you all thought about this. Looking at the undercarriage I noticed a decent amount of rusting on the drive shaft and various other places...This is a brand new 2013 and it's been kind of bothering me, I guess I should have climbed under there before I drove off the dealer lot but just didn't think about it. I've driven it almost 1300 miles already and haven't had any issues otherwise.

I know rusting is almost unavoidable anyway (I live in Michigan) and I do know that my Jeep was on the lot for at least a few months before I bought it (snow on the ground from the dealer's website pictures)

Is this something I should be concerned about or bring to the dealers attention?

Also is there a good way to protect the undercarriage from further rusting, I plan on using high-heat rustoleum for the exhaust as others have done, but what about the rest? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Mine looks like that after a year living in Québec, Canada, so lot of salt also, but I wouldn't worry, these are the usual early spots.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Believe me, it's normal. Comes up on here often.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Bothered me a little too. Bought a 2013 and had rust under it from the day i took it off the lot. I got under there with one of those sponge paint brush things. Sprayed high temp rustoleum in a bottle i cut in half and used the paint like that so i didnt make a mess spraying it. Came out nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
....I know many have reported this and are living with it - for the record my 13 had some rust but not like this (also in MI) . I'm not trying to rub salt into the wound .... a painted part on a 3 month old vehicle should not be rusting - poor metal prep and/or poor paint. (even the shock is rusted) Take it back to the dealer - get something for your misery.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I don't care for rust either. Rust only begats more rust. I try to wire brush it and put some new paint over it. If I cant paint it I spray it with this stuff called Boeshield. It was developed by Boeing for airplanes, but boaters have used it extensively in salt water marine environments because it doesnt easily wash off.
Can't say mine is near as bad as your pics. I plan to keep my 2009 Wrangler and I don't want a rust bucket.
My beater truck has a lot of undercarriage rust and stains up the driveway after a good soaking which is annoying.
If it bugs you, paint it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It looks fairly normal to me....I've had new Fords, GMs and Toyotas with the same rusting. When I purchase a vehicle now I give it a couple weeks to check for leaking tranny...engine....whatever under it.....if nothing leaks I undercoat it with Fluid Film and no more rust will pop up. :punk:

Half hour with an undercoating gun along with a 1/2 gallon or so of FF and you won't be worrying about rust again.:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks for the reply's, I might try some undercoating and maybe give the dealer a call just to see if they can do something for me...

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The drive shaft rust is normal, they're not painted or treated. The other parts can be easily re-painted. I use rustoleum or krylon semi-gloss black which will match. You're better off doing it yourself since most dealers won't take the time or effort masking and doing it right.

·
Registered
760 Posts
rust

:dance:hi, my 2012 has no rust, however i live in florida and we have no snow
or ice, and we do not salt our roads. What u see is surface rust and should
not be a problem! Hope this helps you, ps; you could move Fla. :popcorn::thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Don't worry about it. It's just surface rust. It would take a decade for the rust to weaken the metal. Painting it does absolutely nothing but make it "pretty". It also hurts resale. If I ever see a Jeep that was rattle-canned underneath, I immediately think they are trying to hide something. Leave it alone. Visible rust will let you monitor things.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Don't worry about it. It's just surface rust. It would take a decade for the rust to weaken the metal. Painting it does absolutely nothing but make it"pretty". It also hurts resale. If I ever see a Jeep that was rattle-canned underneath, I immediately think they are trying to hide something. Leave it alone. Visible rust will let you monitor things.
Lol at least you are better then Chrysler , they say it doesn't cause any damaging effects to the jeep. We all know that rust when not treated doesn't get better only worse.. Why ignore it... It's a sad world when things stopped getting built to last and only built with a shelf life.
I don't know about you but I don't like my jeep looking like rusty it's only 6 months old!? Take it off and do it right knock the rust off with sand paper primer it paint it.. I used rustoleum primer and high temp semi flat black paint. Shafts look way cleaner and no signs of rust after 7 months. >>>But you have to use a rust remover and really clean the shit out of everything!!!<<

*Side note if you plan on getting a big lift kit & tires 3.5" or + don't even worry about it because you will end up replacing your front driveshaft because of clearance issues. Some people have no issues and some do. I'm just going to replace mine simply because I have a buddy with a shop and I don't want future issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is funny because I was commenting on how new and awesome my undercarriage looked on my brand new 2013 JKUR and how pleased I was with this after I bought it. When I bought my brand new 2011 F150 Platinum 4X4 with the 6.2 rapture engine I looked at my undercarriage and thought for the price I am paying for this brand new high end pick up truck one would think it would look pristine. But no, I had rust all over in various spots. But it really isn't anything to worrie about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts