Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I detailed the inside of my Jeep last night and discovered ruined electronics, and soaked jackets in the backseat... I thought I left a window down during the rain but I pulled up the carpet and found that the brackets that hold my backseats in our covered in rust... the drivers side bolt is so badly rusted that there is a visible hole that you can see the ground through. It's only a 2010 ... I know this happens but I wasn't expecting it so soon ! I need advice for repairing the hole and also, buying new bolts / brackets. I'd rather not take it to a body shop if I can fix it myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
That's been there for a good long while I'd say. No way was that from a recent rain storm. I'm sure someone smarter than me can chime in, but I would first use a wire brush or wire wheel on a drill to clean off all the rust, then maybe weld over the hole depending on size and then prime it and paint over it. A lot of folks bedline (or similar option) the tub so if more water gets in, it doesn't set on the sheet metal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's been there for a good long while I'd say. No way was that from a recent rain storm. I'm sure someone smarter than me can chime in, but I would first use a wire brush or wire wheel on a drill to clean off all the rust, then maybe weld over the hole depending on size and then prime it and paint over it. A lot of folks bedline (or similar option) the tub so if more water gets in, it doesn't set on the sheet metal.
It's definitely been there for awhile but I've never noticed it. I always hand washed it but since it's been cold and snowy I've taken it through automatic washes that push water up from the bottom as well, and that's when I noticed it. It's a very small hole but it's big enough to cause an issue !

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
It's definitely been there for awhile but I've never noticed it. I always hand washed it but since it's been cold and snowy I've taken it through automatic washes that push water up from the bottom as well, and that's when I noticed it. It's a very small hole but it's big enough to cause an issue !
It definitely can get worse. The option I posted I would think would work well and not really cost much depending on what you chose to do. Obviously if you bedlined it, that can get costly quick, but the other option should about be free. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts