Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just Rustoleumed my wheels (Rustoleum semi-gloss black enamel) and figure that other Jeep owners are thinking about what they want to do with their wheels that are rusty...

Here's what I did and my results. I'm personally happy with this, and its more than good enough for me in terms of time and money.

I've got stock wheels on my 'YJ and they were showing rust. I will likely go with bigger tires and wheels ultimately and don't want to spend too much on wheels.

I don't want to spend for a new set of wheels right now. Also, I could have my mechanic pull the wheels, sandblast them, have them treated and reseated - but that wouldn't cost that much less than just buying new wheels to begin with....

I rubbed the wheels over with a small steel brush first and wiped them down with heavy paper shop towels. I should have applied a primer after masking, but I didn't.

I masked off the wheel (using the Blue 3m Painters tape. I found it useful to use both 1" and 2" widths). The tape fits between the wheel and the tire in small pieces and then I used the 2" tape to mask off bigger areas. To protect the wheel hub/cover I used the 1" tape in small pieces tucked under the wheel hub cover (if that's the right term), and used a 5 or 6" Styrofoam plate to help make the center-mask.

For both the wheel's perimeter and around the hub cover, I ran my finger nail around the masking to make sure it was in tight.

I used the Rustoleum spray enamel and did 5 coats on my spare, and 4 coats on the other tires. I used a little more than one can of Rustoleum total.

Total cost under $20. Was able to mask about 2 tires in 1 hr. Not a perfect technical paint job, but I'm happy with it and if you just want black wheels it can work pretty well...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Fresh coat of paint hides a multitude of sins. Nice work looking real goood!! Not much cost but what a facelift.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the same wheels; can you tell me are they 15x6 or 15x7? Sorry for the stupid question. They look really good by the way.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I did mine to a few years ago with flat black rustoleum mostly just cause I wanted my wheels to be black my rims werent starting to rust or anything. And theyve held up fine and still look good even after all the hell theyve been through.

Before I did them:

Right after I did them:

And to this day with no touch up or anything like I said more then 2 years:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TomJeep - I don't know myself if they are 15x6 or 15x7. I'll plan to follow-up and post. Tnx... - Sam

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try to dig up some earlier pics of the jeep and will plan to post a profile before and after.
Thanks guys for the support.... I've also learned a lot from this site.
Thanks again... -- Sam

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great looking jeep the new wheels are fantastic.Its amazing what you can do with some tape and a rattle can. Good Job!!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thinking about doing this to mine.. They sell wheel paint at my local autozone that is supposed to hold up better than rustoleum. It's made wy VHT. It's a high temp paint, and they also make engine paint. I can't decide what I think would hold up best.. I painted my front bumper with it, and its held up well, and it dried very quickly. I only put about 1 1/2 coats on the bumper. I'll probably use more on the wheels. Should I use a coat of primer too?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
the rustoleum does just fine mine have been painted like those for years and they still look great- on my daily farm jeep--i belive they are 7 inch wide---please correct me if im wrong..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
89Quest - Thank you ! I appreciate it. I don't do much of my own work on the Jeep, and it feels good to have it appreciated.

Jack3D - Just a thought... When I painted the wheels, I also used the opportunity to tape around some additional parts of the jeep that showed either rust or bare metal - the floor behind the front seats, the top of my "instatrunk", the gas tank skid plate, the tire stop... and hit them with some coats at the same time... all together it helped the Jeeps looks much more than just just hitting the wheels, and it didn't take much time since I already had to tape and paint the wheels.... I haven't used the other paints you mentioned, and I didn't use primer, but I'm perfectly happy with how mine turned out.... but it's only been a few months. It won't take long to hit the wheels with a coat of primer before the paint, so you might want to do it just so you know it's been done right. I did brush them first briefly with a wirebrush first....

Good luck... don't forget to post your results :)

- Sam

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What wheels are these ? Just found the answer...

I have the same wheels; can you tell me are they 15x6 or 15x7? Sorry for the stupid question. They look really good by the way.
I just found my build sheet.... This is what is says for the wheels:
WJKS 15X6.0 Styled Steel Wheels

So I understand I have the 15 x 6" wheels.

Take care...

-- Sam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts