Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Mass folks have their frame cleaned (inside + out) and rustproofed (Eastwood or similar product)? There any shops that do this reasonably?

Jeep is new to me and planning to put in on the beach this summer. Hoping to have the Jeep a long time and want these problem areas protected.

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used the Eastwood internal frame sealer when I got my YJ. Went on easy right in the driveway. I also once a year use the Eastwood undercoat that is designed to convert rust and provide UV protection. I can't remember the exact name. That seals up any surface rust from a summer at Sandy Neck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll have to give it a shot. Just watched a quick video on it.
Did you leave all your volts on the frame and just go through the access holes?
How did you clean it out first?

·
Registered
199 Posts
At first glance that looks pretty good. I used the access holes and and took out one transfer case bolt. With the extension tube that they give you, I was able to reach every inch of the frame. It was squirting out of both ends by the time I was done.

I started with a VERY clean frame. That helped. If you can get a good led light around your frame to peak inside, take a look. As long as you don't have any scaling, you should be good to go. If you have some "bad" areas a POR15 treatment may be worth it. That completely encapsulates the rust and chemically corrects it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks pretty good to me. If you do the Eastwood internal frame treatment pay special attention to low spots where water collects. Our frames are not well designed when it comes to draining out the water that will get into them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to drill holes as suggested by others. I only have 19.2v cordless drill (regular and hammer), wonder if they will have enough power to drill a frame.

Car is so new and this is my first time working on vehicles. Any suggestions to safely jack it up or does do you not even need to for this?

I am going to do the Por-15 after as well, but am not comfortable removing the skid plate even though it's a problem area for rust. Jacking up the transmission and potentially destroying the nutserts seems too risky.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Get a cheap corded drill from harbor freight if the cordless won't cut it. I use my on the jeep all the time with a step bit for mounting tow hooks, footman loops, locking trunk, etc.

You shouldn't need to jack it up. Mines lifted so I can wiggle underneath very easily. If you do jack up your jeep always use jack stands. Also super cheap from Harbor Freight. Always on sale.

The access holes are pretty much all on the side of the frame, so you can access them without getting underneath. I use a little rolling stool

I just ordered 4 cans of Eastwood rubberized encapsulator for my annual recoat. Keeps all the salt water off the underside all summer long. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.